About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Mad Scientists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mad Scientists Science and Mathematics discussion-- theories, arguments, citations, proofs and pudding.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-12, 02:03
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Atoms and Thoughts, Matter to Memorys

I was sitting down getting ready to go to sleep when a thought struck me.

How can memories be stored in an atom, in all honesty a cant think of how this happens. Anything from movement to thoughts or anything for that matter, us humans do, i dont see how anyone can explain it in a molecular sence.

CTR
 #2 
Old 2002-12-12, 04:05
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Atoms and Thoughts, Matter to Memorys

The current theory on how memories are stored in the brain involves ring-like cellular structures colapsing and traping particles at certian points in the ring.

I'm not a neurochemist, so I don't understand how that does anything. But I'm sure that there are articles online that I am too lazy to go find right now.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-12, 21:32
Moderator
 
toronto
Default Re: Atoms and Thoughts, Matter to Memorys

quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus:
The current theory on how memories are stored in the brain involves ring-like cellular structures colapsing and traping particles at certian points in the ring.

I'm not a neurochemist, so I don't understand how that does anything. But I'm sure that there are articles online that I am too lazy to go find right now.



Current theories of learning and memory are "connectionist". That is they focus on the connections between neurons rather than the "atomic". I've actually written a paper on artificial intelligence that gives a synopsis of both theories if anyone is interested.
http://www.totse.com/en/technology/computer_technology/167529.html
 #4 
Old 2002-12-12, 22:52
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: Atoms and Thoughts, Matter to Memorys

Quantum computers work similarly, depending on the spin of the atom.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics