About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Mad Scientists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mad Scientists Science and Mathematics discussion-- theories, arguments, citations, proofs and pudding.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-01, 17:08
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default The Future

I would like to get other peoples opinions on things you think might happen in the future. Not just technology, but politics and society too.

I have some of my own ideas, which I will post later. I have a lot of ideas on a lot of specific aspects (such as genetics, space, nanotech, etc..) so I will try not to deluge everyone with too much all at once.

I have already began working on some of the stuff. When I got to the fourth page on cloning I decided that I will just submit my essays as articles and post links to them.

By the way, I know I promised that thread about 2 weeks ago, but I came this close |<->| to destroying my my hard drive and just got online again a few days ago.
 #2 
Old 2002-11-01, 21:23
Genital-Warfare Genital-Warfare is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Future

Well i think the future will be worse and worse, it wont just be kids. Look at who we have running for govenner of Ca. both of them run negitive add campians cuz neither of them has any good qualitys.

CTR
 #3 
Old 2002-11-02, 04:57
Zero_the_Hero Zero_the_Hero is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Future

The future may be plumeting, but huimankind will adapt itself. Whether by reducing it's population, or "correction" it will brighten. It's all jsut a matter of opinion. I may wake up to a nuclear winter, leaving the world to fix istself, at teh cost of a very minor and short lived species in the whole history.
 #4 
Old 2002-11-02, 14:35
jsaxton14 jsaxton14 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Future

The main problem we will see in the future is that a few disgruntled idiots can destroy the world. We have never had that problem before. I don't know how it can be solved without infringing upon our privacy, and that scares me. That is my two cents.
 #5 
Old 2002-11-02, 18:52
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Future

It would be useful to clarify what you mean by "the future". Assuming that time is infinite then the only really answer to your question is "to progress". By the time i die though (lets say in 70 years) i think that we will have colonies on other planets and may even have found life on other planets. I also think that by that time capitalism will begin to fall in favour of a communist styled utopia. I think the real advancement will be in medicin though. Where almost ever life threatening disease will be wiped out or cureable.

Chunkmiester
I also hope that in (at the most) 50 years that famine, world debt and extream poverty will be a thing of the past.
 #6 
Old 2002-11-03, 03:18
lokisdaki lokisdaki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Future

Quite optimistic you are.
 #7 
Old 2002-11-03, 19:27
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: The Future

The disease thing is actualy reasonable. Once the bugs are worked out of nanotech it could be used as a suplementary, programable immune system.

I would like to see the world develop towards a "communistic utopia" but it will take quite a while to squash our basic instincts to aquire more than everyone else. And I can only hope for Marx's communisim, not Lenin's.
 #8 
Old 2002-11-04, 15:15
chase161 chase161 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Future

I think that some sort of world empire would take over. Some type of socialist state that will be merciless to criminals. Something like the system that they had in starship troopers. Where the advancement of the human race would be a priority. over everything else, instead of fuckin money.
 #9 
Old 2002-11-04, 18:57
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: The Future

Chunk isn't optimistic as much as he is realistic. An almost disease free life is very close at hand. In 50 years or so only the diseases such as cancer, AIDS and the cold will be a worry. A lot of progress has been made recently and because of the genome project (yes I know it has its ups AND downs) even more will be made. Although the genome wastes a lot of time as scientists study things that are useless, as time goes on the DNA left to study will become more specific and scientists will begin to know what to look for.
 #10 
Old 2002-11-05, 20:53
Chunkmiester Chunkmiester is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Future

I am glad that people agree with my idea of the future. By "communist styled utopia" i don't mean total communist as it was before. I used the word "styled" because i think that there are still problems with communism, especially to do with the state's leader, although such a position would be redundant if the whole world was communist because we then wouldn't need need a spokesperson to put across our interests to other nations. I agree that out of the two marxism is probably better than leninism but we would need several of the elements from leninism (such as the drive for technology) in order to proceed in development as a people.

Chunkmiester
Having problems getting my points across today- you probably noticed
 #11 
Old 2002-11-07, 01:18
r7f2k2 r7f2k2 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: The Future

i doubt communism will ever work... the upper classes have their power tightly held. also, people will just slack off in a communist enviroment, there is not incentive for them. as much as we'd all like to see it work... it won't.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics