About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Sciences > Mad Scientists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mad Scientists Science and Mathematics discussion-- theories, arguments, citations, proofs and pudding.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-08-26, 07:51
doommachine doommachine is offline
Regular
 
Default Laser

hey i was just wondering does anyone know how to build a laser? or know any sites that have info? any help would be appreciated
 #2 
Old 2002-08-26, 10:25
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Laser

What kind [size] are you talking about?

Pointer size? Something that only needs a lazer diode?

Or are you talking the bigger, of the real ruby crystal variety [let's call them 'Industrial' sized]?

Perhaps something even biger?

What do want to do with it?

Point at things? Gun sight? Tease cats, dogs and other small animals?

Make holograms?

Shoot down alien spacecraft? ;-)
 #3 
Old 2002-08-26, 16:01
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Laser

Oooo...I want the anti-spacecraft laser.
 #4 
Old 2002-08-26, 23:23
ScorchedWeasel ScorchedWeasel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Laser

me too, me too, mount a couple on the roll bars of my jeep and open fire on the hella slow drivers infront of me, not to mention the cocky rice burners
 #5 
Old 2002-08-27, 02:10
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Laser

In my library, amongst the many books on how to do just about everything, is the book "How to build a low-cost laser" by Ronald M. Benrey (Hayden Book Co.).

It tells you how to build a low power continuous wave laser. This will do holography and other optical experiments.

It is not the "death ray" laser, it won't even burn tissue paper. To do that you would need to build a pulse laser, those will weld or drill metal.

The book says you can build a low power laser for less than $100.00 US, I imagine the pulse type would cost considerably more.
 #6 
Old 2002-08-27, 04:08
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Laser

Ah, but holograms can be made with laser pointers that cost less than the film/plates...
 #7 
Old 2002-08-27, 07:34
doommachine doommachine is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Laser

Actualy I was looking for info on the "Death Ray" kind of laser powerful enough to uh well lets see melt steel doors
 #8 
Old 2002-08-27, 15:10
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Laser

quote:
Originally posted by doommachine:
Actualy I was looking for info on the "Death Ray" kind of laser powerful enough to uh well lets see melt steel doors


Cha-ching$$$$$$$
 #9 
Old 2002-08-27, 18:40
Moderator
 
Through the looking glass
Default Re: Laser

Hard light lasers are very expensive.
 #10 
Old 2002-08-27, 23:21
ScorchedWeasel ScorchedWeasel is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Laser

id imagine, but ohhhh can you imagine how fun they'd be?
 #11 
Old 2002-08-28, 00:20
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Laser

Until it overheated...that's when the real fun begins.

Nox
 #12 
Old 2002-08-28, 00:56
Shan Shan is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Laser

One of my favourite sites is www.futurehorizons.net

The site doesn't have 'death-ray' lasers, exactly, but it's got some pretty cool stuff, and the plans to build them. Now all I need is money to buy the flying saucer...

- Shan
 #13 
Old 2002-08-29, 10:25
skalez skalez is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Laser

quote:
Originally posted by ScorchedWeasel:
not to mention the cocky rice burners


RICE BURNERS LOLOL HAHAHAHA

curry burners... little aussie guru burners... stir-fry burners LOL
 #14 
Old 2002-09-06, 23:20
Super Moderator
 
Sebastopol CA
Default Re: Laser

quote:
Originally posted by doommachine:
Actualy I was looking for info on the "Death Ray" kind of laser powerful enough to uh well lets see melt steel doors


Check out: "How to Build the Short Frequency Pulsed Laser Pistol". in Popular Electronics, December 2075
 #15 
Old 2002-09-07, 20:19
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Laser

I don't think I can wait that long for that issue to come out. I refuse to wait most of my life for a single article, except the January 2050 Popular Science where they will evaluate the claims they made in the Jan 2000 issue about the next 50 years.
 #16 
Old 2002-09-11, 01:57
PhoeniXKEA PhoeniXKEA is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Laser

I have a 532NM solid state laser, it emmits a fair amount of 1032nm light also the 532 is probibly 500mwatts or so I pop black ballons with 1 teaspoon of talcum powder tolight up the air. this is powerfull enough to burn your skin and blind you. I might part with it for enough $$$'s
 #17 
Old 2002-09-11, 02:22
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Laser

532nm? That's such a lovely shade of green. I wonder what strange looks I'd get if I started expressing colors by wavelength, or frequency, or perhaps hexadecimal value? "Hey, the light's 00FF00! Go!" "I love a woman with 505nm eyes..."
 #18 
Old 2002-09-11, 02:54
Moderator
 
The fine line between genius and madness
Default Re: Laser

LOL I'm going to do that.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics