About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Radio Free Amerika
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Radio Free Amerika The ins and outs of the radio frequency spectrum, including scanners, trackers, building your own transmitters, mixers, and antennas, station formats, frequencies, favorite pirate radio stations, the FCC, radio stories, working at radio stations, and more.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2003-01-26, 21:55
lifejunkie lifejunkie is offline
Regular
 
Default Ham radio.

How many of you guys have a HAM radio License?

In Michigan, this allows you to legally
drive around with a scanner.
 #2 
Old 2003-01-27, 01:36
TrineonX TrineonX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ham radio.

General class
 #3 
Old 2003-01-27, 20:07
lifejunkie lifejunkie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ham radio.

Yeah, I have a tech no code.

There are so few people my age
that are into ham, kind of weird
talking to the old folks all the
time..

 #4 
Old 2003-01-27, 21:08
ClydeR ClydeR is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ham radio.

quote:
Originally posted by lifejunkie:
Yeah, I have a tech no code.

There are so few people my age
that are into ham, kind of weird
talking to the old folks all the
time..




I think it should be promoted, but historically it seems to have been for civil defense with a strong military bad taste to it. It's good to see a forum like this.

I first became aware of radios when somehow I joined the Civil Air Patrol when I was about 13 yrs old. They were of course into the emergency communications stuff, civil defense, etc. derived from the atomic bomb scare stuff of the 1950's and early 60's.
I was pobably more interested in airplanes than I was radios, had two relatives who were pilots.

Later I took a commercial radio-telephone class- assigned frequencies- then began studying the technical stuff, electronics and such for a second class license. I decided that HAM would be much more useful to me but I never did follow through with it.

The structure of the licensing is different than it was when I was studying it, licenses aren't quite the same, required a bit more knowlege back then- I am not sure tho, it is a moot point anyway.

I am concerned about how the Gov. and Military are going to screw everyone with radios and the only way to communicate will be by authority of the Military Police State. No freedom of air waves.

I think this is inevitable and I think anyone who thinks this is not possible or very unlikely is in the dark which is exactly where the Military, Police and Government WANT them to be.

I think that we will have a battle for survival for even the most basic of freedoms.

some of the old timers like me have been watching this eveolve ever since the JFK Assassination, and even before that.

It has only been a matter of time before more people became aware and the Internet has opened up a means for people to become informed of the truth rather than the propaganda feeds. This is why the internet is regarded as a threat to the Gov. and Establishment and they are trying to police it.

I don't know how relevent my conversation is but I am thinking right now that HAM Radio may very well be essential to maintaining any kind of freedom of expression and communications, even if it has to be heavily encrypted, concealed and whatever.

I am hoping to be back to work in 2 months so I can afford to get some books and equipment.

Also I would like to get into that SETI project and give some input.

Best of luck to you all,

Clyde

 #5 
Old 2003-01-28, 00:44
bangbangbooty bangbangbooty is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ham radio.

quote:
Originally posted by ClydeR:

I am concerned about how the Gov. and Military are going to screw everyone with radios and the only way to communicate will be by authority of the Military Police State. No freedom of air waves.

I think this is inevitable and I think anyone who thinks this is not possible or very unlikely is in the dark which is exactly where the Military, Police and Government WANT them to be.

I think that we will have a battle for survival for even the most basic of freedoms.



The largest problem we face regarding your concerns is the fact that the radio spectrum is worth Big Dollars. People are prepared to pay millions of dollars to rent just 1 meg of spectrum for a few years.

The usable radio spectrum that will comfortably support voice transmissions in a standard fashion is very limited when you look at it on a worldwide scale.

Those dozen or so bands publicly available to ham and non-ham users look like a carrot in front of the authorities noses. If they scrapped just the 2 meter band, that 4 megs alone would be worth Billions worldwide. Give them half a chance and they will attempt to do it.

As you stated, you, like thousands of others, became interested in radio back in the time of the Civil Defense years. I also became interested in radio at a young age, then applied my hobby and knowledge of radio and have National Accreditation in Emergency Services Communications.

However this generation is growing up the the internet as a means of talking to people around the world, and unfortunately the hobby has declined slightly in users.

Therefore this will be the governments "excuse" for starting to try and snatch chunks of our spectrum.

They are not getting my equipment, my ability to speak or OUR spectrum

 #6 
Old 2003-02-03, 00:33
ClydeR ClydeR is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ham radio.

quote:
Originally posted by bangbangbooty:

As you stated, you, like thousands of others, became interested in radio back in the time of the Civil Defense years. I also became interested in radio at a young age, then applied my hobby and knowledge of radio and have National Accreditation in Emergency Services Communications.



I missed your reply until now.

About 5 months ago I downloaded fairly extensive training manual(s)[.pdf] on the whole organization and administration of FEMA and disaster management. I began studying them but lost it all in some kind of a computer failure.

The reason to studuy it for me is that I have a friend who has an insurance claims business who specializes at times in Disasters (Storms, earthquakes, floods etc.) There is a demnd at those times for good claims adjusters and it can be a hot money making opporunity for someone who is qualified.

I am a former commercial construction estimator and technician, at minimum equivelent to a bulding inspector, who is familiar with structural damage to buildings from storms, fire, etc. More qualified than alot of people doing that (insurance claims adjusters are usually not very well educated in the areas I mentioned.)
Anyhow, I thought I could do a fast and efficient job, adjust more claims in a shorter time and make a good chunk of change in the process.

It is possible that I might follow through with that and ONLY do disaster claims.

All we need is more disasters, LOL :-)
Pray for disasters :-)

Actually I am fascinated with geology and weather so disasters are a spiritual thing, humbling to humans but shows what forces are really in control, above mankinds delusions of laws, politics etc. (rant rant).

quote:
However this generation is growing up the the internet as a means of talking to people around the world, and unfortunately the [Radio] hobby has declined slightly in users.


I have been giving this much thought during the past week- actually it doesn't take much thought to figure out that they [Government and powers that control it] can shut off the internet with a flick of a switch

THEN all of these people will be SCREWED BIG TIME.

Plus you constantly have to worry about software crashes, security vulnerabilities etc. etc. (I will be reformating my main drive for about the 20th to 30th time after I am finished posting here)

quote:
Therefore this will be the governments "excuse" for starting to try and snatch chunks of our spectrum.

They are not getting my equipment, my ability to speak or OUR spectrum



IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE SCIENTISTS ENGINEERS AND TECHNICIANS WHO CREATE THESE MAGNIFICENT TECHNOLOGIES WHO HAVE HAD TO CONTINUALLY FIGHT AND LOBBY TO KEEP THE AIRWAVES FREE

I learned this when I first started studying radios.
The Scientists etc., are constantly fighting against commercial interests who have no expertise other than exploiting airwaves for profit.

If we lose what little 'free airwaves' that are left, THEN WHAT???

I am at present not very well educated in radio tech, a low end novice but I know a bit of related science and will learn it pretty quick.

Anyway, If I am to chose between internet and Radio fore security and dependability I will chose radio, even being able to integrate it with computers that are not connected to any kind of public network.

That is my line of thinking right now anyway.

ClydeR

 #7 
Old 2003-02-09, 21:08
lifejunkie lifejunkie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Ham radio.

"Shut off the internet with a flick of a switch"

It's funny that you mentioned that.
Ham operators have set up a packet
network across the entire country
that is unstopable. It's really slow
so it takes a while for a message
to get across, but it's great for
really improtant messages.

 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics