About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Radio Free Amerika
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Radio Free Amerika The ins and outs of the radio frequency spectrum, including scanners, trackers, building your own transmitters, mixers, and antennas, station formats, frequencies, favorite pirate radio stations, the FCC, radio stories, working at radio stations, and more.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-10-20, 17:08
Viper2002 Viper2002 is offline
Regular
 
Default Buying a radio scanner

I am interested in buying a radio scanner, mainly for entertainment value to listen to police frequencies etc. So as you can imagine I am not eager to spend a massive amount of money on this. I live in the UK so what exactly is the legality of scanning here and will I be able to listen to police frequencies etc. I have access to a fully movable satellite dish so will I be able to use this in conjunction with my scanner to pick up international transmissions. Also I would like to get a scanner that can be controlled via my laptop at a low price if possible, second hand is a possibility son any recommendations on a make or modal(also I want a full range radio)?

Ps. I heard there was a website that gave out a live sound steam from the US emergency channel or something does anyone know the address?

Viper
 #2 
Old 2002-10-21, 10:47
buttthrax buttthrax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Buying a radio scanner

quote:
Originally posted by Viper2002:
I am interested in buying a radio scanner, mainly for entertainment value to listen to police frequencies etc. So as you can imagine I am not eager to spend a massive amount of money on this. I live in the UK so what exactly is the legality of scanning here and will I be able to listen to police frequencies etc. I have access to a fully movable satellite dish so will I be able to use this in conjunction with my scanner to pick up international transmissions. Also I would like to get a scanner that can be controlled via my laptop at a low price if possible, second hand is a possibility son any recommendations on a make or modal(also I want a full range radio)?

Ps. I heard there was a website that gave out a live sound steam from the US emergency channel or something does anyone know the address?

Viper



Find out what system your local police has. There is trunked and conventional. A trunking scanner picks up both kinds. A conventional scanner won't pick up trunked systems.

I made the mistake of buying a conventional scanner and the cops have trunked. However, someone from my county made lists of everything and has live feed on the internet so I don't need a scanner.
 #3 
Old 2002-10-21, 18:23
svc svc is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Buying a radio scanner

if possible, get a digital/lcd display.. nice for trunked scanners 9if possible) to find and log police channels when traveling..

expensive way to get out of expensive tickets.
 #4 
Old 2002-10-22, 15:56
ridemypony ridemypony is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Buying a radio scanner

Wait for a RatShack sale. They often put their trunktracker radios on sale for $100 off. I have had mine for years, the writing and numbers have all worn off, but still works like a charm. You need a trunked radio unless you live in a small town in North Dakota or Montana. Any town over 40,000 uses trunk these days. Even if yours does'nt, you may travel and need it.
 #5 
Old 2002-10-22, 16:53
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Buying a radio scanner

If you really want to waste your time, get a decent scanner and mod it so you can pick up cell-phone signals! I know people who have done this, and the stupid shit you hear about Sally makes you wonder why you did the ten minutes of work required to get that.
 #6 
Old 2002-10-25, 16:33
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Buying a radio scanner

Ive heard of that. Would it be possible to mod a cheap scanner even to pick up cell phones [around 800mhz I think?] and cordless phones [900mhz & 1.2ghz]

As well, dont older scanners pick up around 800mhz because obviously cell phoens wherent around much then. If so, how often really, can you find scanners at places liek goodwill? [if you know]
 #7 
Old 2002-11-27, 19:48
TrineonX TrineonX is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Buying a radio scanner

I've gotten a few of my scanners at goodwill I pay about $10 for each. Most scanners tht are sold today receive 900mhz phones but not cell phones.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics