About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Technology > Radio Free Amerika
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Radio Free Amerika The ins and outs of the radio frequency spectrum, including scanners, trackers, building your own transmitters, mixers, and antennas, station formats, frequencies, favorite pirate radio stations, the FCC, radio stories, working at radio stations, and more.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-07, 13:15
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

I'm looking for a good antenna for the compound, something that will bring in some of the weak stations I've been listening to. The trouble is I don't think any one antenna is going to do what I want it to do.

I need one that will bring in AM, FM, TV, and shortwave. Now before you mention one, I don't want the $500 antenna, if I can I would build my own. I know an AM antenna is really nothing more than a long wire run from point A to point B, and one point needs to be a little higher than the other. I could probably get an AM/FM/TV setup from Radio Shack for $50 or less, but the shortwave has me stumped.

I'm not transmitting, yet, I just want one to make sure I'm getting the best signal I can, and if I'm not mistaken a shortwave antenna is also nothing more than a long wire from A to B. Does anyone know for certain?
 #2 
Old 2002-09-07, 22:17
Joe Boo Joe Boo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

We used to make field expedient Radio antennas in Recon to make the range longer, Once I find "Big Black Notebook on Nasty Poop" I'll post it. I'm not sure if it will work on your radio though.
 #3 
Old 2002-09-08, 01:52
? ? is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

1. Find A radio controller car that has a controller.
2. IF IT IS a STRAIGHT metal antenna- take the controller apart. (if wire like antenna, fuck it)
3.) Find the + and - wires on the main circuit board of the controller.
4. Cut, strip, attach speaker wire to those + and - wires.
5. Hook the other ends up. works like a charm!
 #4 
Old 2002-09-08, 13:12
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

quote:
Originally posted by ?:
1. Find A radio controller car that has a controller.
2. IF IT IS a STRAIGHT metal antenna- take the controller apart. (if wire like antenna, fuck it)
3.) Find the + and - wires on the main circuit board of the controller.
4. Cut, strip, attach speaker wire to those + and - wires.
5. Hook the other ends up. works like a charm!



And what exactly is this "charm" supposed to do?
 #5 
Old 2002-09-08, 14:23
? ? is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

It has a good strong FM singal that gets many stations GD.
 #6 
Old 2002-09-08, 15:39
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

I have all the receivers I need, I'm just looking for a decent antenna. I can pick up all sorts of stations, just some could come in a little better. The trees at the compound are bare minimum 30 to 40 feet higher than the roof of the cabin, and I just need something that will bring in a better signal.
 #7 
Old 2002-09-08, 17:34
? ? is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

Thought you wanted and external antenna. I use this hook up on the back of my stereo system. (where it says to plug speakers in, etc.)

 #8 
Old 2002-09-08, 17:37
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

I was talking external, outside the house, on the roof.
 #9 
Old 2002-09-12, 03:20
TheParkinator TheParkinator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

*achoo* eek! I hate having a cold
 #10 
Old 2002-09-12, 13:15
Global Dominator Global Dominator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

Hey Parkinator, where is the answer to my question? I have things to get building on.
 #11 
Old 2002-10-05, 09:22
the_unabomber the_unabomber is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Antennas, aerials, aluminum foil on the clothesline.

if u no the direction the signals r coming from then build a yagi, these things are simple to make and i shhort one gives excelent take up of signals

the_unabomber
(callsign 2E1IIO)
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics