|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Games People Play Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more! |
 |
|
#1
 2003-01-03, 20:03
|
I Love Poop 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
After browsing through this forum and other gaming boards i've heard a lot of people making reference to "downloading, burning and playing games on their XBOX." Is this even possible? I couldn't find any information on it, although I only spent about fifthteen minutes searching the net.
Any information, links or bad ideas are appreciated =)
|
|
#2
 2003-01-04, 04:22
|
nothingSafe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
Uh, you get a modchip.You CAN burn them, but you dont need to, you can just store them on the 8gb harddrive that comes with it(or you can get another one, alot bigger. i've seen people with 100gb's in there, because each game is about 1gb). If you burn them though, you need a DVD burner, and you have to burn it at 4x or slower. Some game copies are called CD-Rips, which means you can fit it on a normal CD-RW. http://xbox-scene.com/ That is probably the best XBOX Mod site you will find around. =]
My modchip only cost $30, and it was the no-solder on, so i didnt even have to do much, other than open the xbox and screw it in. It took about 5 minutes total, and most of that time was opening/closing the xbox.
[This message has been edited by nothingSafe (edited 01-04-2003).]
|
|
#3
 2003-01-05, 06:06
|
I Love Poop 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
Now i'm intrigued. What does your mod chip allow you to do that I can't do with my regular XBOX?
|
|
#4
 2003-01-05, 06:52
|
nothingSafe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
Woah, wtf, you in Palm Harbor? I am too...
Anyway, the modchip lets you boot into the xbox without their gay BIOS that only let you play legit games and change a few settings. With the modchip, you put whatever BIOS you want on it, then you can boot in and use the xbox just like a regular computer. You can hook it up via the network plug and receive the games from your computer. Some of the more daring people install WindowsXP on it and mod a keyboard/mouse to use and use it as a computer(as far as i know, you have to mod the keyboard/mouse yourself, unless you can find one online. i know they have tutorials though) and they can do wahtever they want on it. I dont think you can played burned games on the unmodded xbox. For $30 it's well worth it, thats less than one game.
As for the XBOX Live thing, i am not sure, as i havent bought it yet, but i am told that with my modchip, there is a certain way to boot the xbox to disable the modchip, so i could play xbox. I know you can also install external switches to turn it off when you use xbox live.
[This message has been edited by nothingSafe (edited 01-05-2003).]
|
|
#5
 2003-01-05, 16:05
|
I Love Poop 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
I spent a couple hours last night going thru all those hacking the xbox sites, reading through the message boards and FAQ'S and i'm amazed how in depth the modding can get. It seems to be the general opinion of everyone that XBOX LIVE will ban you if you are using a mod chip, but aparently there are plenty of ways around that. I doubt i'll ever sign up for xbox live, i've been on msn gaming zone for years now and i've made myself home there. But being able to play games that I can download and burn on the XBOX would be great, also adding a secondary hard disk could be very useful.
I doubt i'll be taking my XBOX apart anytime soon (considering i just bought it a few days ago) until i've done a little more research into modding.
I'm up in the north countryside area where it meets lake saint george where countryside dead ends, "countryside estates".
|
|
#6
 2003-01-05, 18:34
|
nothingSafe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
It's like 6 torx screw. You unscrew the four on the bottom, all under stickers/pads and then you do two inside, and lift out a nice little tray and do the modchip, pop the tray back in and put the screw back. I didnt encounter any seals or anything, so i am pretty sure i could still return it if i ever fuck anything up. The stickers you have to peel the corner away, could've been messed with for any reason, so i dont think that works like the 'do not remove' seals.
I didnt research anything before i did it, because i am an impatient 16 year old kid that wants his pirated games fast, that's just how i am. I bought the modchip before the xbox, which is kind of bad, because you should know what version you have before you buy a modchip. Then i just tore the thing apart and realized i didnt have a size 10 torx, so i had to wait like three days to go to the store. But in the end it all comes together.
I'm on Alderman Rd. kind of on the corner of 19 and Alderman. I cant imagine another totse'r in Palm Harbor!
[This message has been edited by nothingSafe (edited 01-05-2003).]
|
|
#7
 2003-01-05, 21:43
|
ChibiMiko 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
Shutup safe, im the priating guy here...
what he said...
And Poopy if you do just open up your XBox you void the warrenty, plus iv heard alot of people saying there PS2's (close enough) die for whatever reason quite recently after they mod them.
And I dont think they are many games for Xbox that arnt on DVD's.
|
|
#8
 2003-01-05, 23:38
|
I Love Poop 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
I've been doing a lot of reading on any XBOX related website when it comes to modifing the unit itself with chips and software. Specifically booting to a different bios (I believe) allowing you to add a larger hard drive, etc.
I'm not sure if i'm going to do any modifications, it would be pretty nifty to have a alternative boot "dash" other than the MS one. Plus I love more options =)
I've got a ninety day store warrenty, so I suppose if I fucked something up I could have the unit replaced with little questions asked.
I didn't realize modding game systems with chips, software and other hardware "homebrew" existed in such a large demand and popularity.
|
|
#9
 2003-01-06, 02:10
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Facedown in the shag rug.
|
|
Re: Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
The homebrew stuff really started on a large scale with the Dreamcast. Not hardware mods, really, but lots of custom software.
I've considered buying an Xbox simply as a hack project. I'd like to stick an LED array in there and make that damn green blob glow...
|
|
#10
 2003-01-06, 04:22
|
d0m 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
if u got the cash, i recomend getting a mod chip and a hard drive. it makes it so nice to boot up and have a a list of games to choose from.
|
|
#11
 2003-01-06, 08:14
|
nothingSafe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: Burning and cracking games for the XBOX?
http://sp0rk-tech.net/xboxmod.jpg
I dunno what the point of this would be, but it looks pretty damn cool.
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|