About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Games People Play
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Games People Play Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-12-08, 18:37
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default UT2003

I actually got around to installing despite the 3 GB (yes gigabyte) requirement. All I can say is...SWEET. I was not dissapointed by this game with one exception. The ending was weak. What kind of cutscene end is that? Where are the cheering crowds? The single player is nice and nothing like Q3A. On harder levels the bots get smarter, not just more accurate with their best/most powerful weapon. Even on my reletively low grade machine 501 MHZ celeron, with Geforce 3 ti 200 128mb videoram, 384 Ram) The game played with nice framerates 50+. The FR did drop once to less than 20 but I have no idea why. I want to play online, but I really can't with a 56k modem. Plus netzero would boot me by its software. It just HAS to be on top.
 #2 
Old 2002-12-08, 18:51
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

That game got boring too damn quick. Q3A, UT, UT2003,... are like the mainstreem popmusic. They're too commercial. If I want mindblowing graphics, I'll stare at my hands.
Woooooooow, look at those neat graphics. The shadows, the realistic movement, ooooooowww look at those pixel shaders,... My hands are cool, but I got bored with them afther looking at them for about 3 minutes.
 #3 
Old 2002-12-08, 20:46
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

Hahahaha ROFLMAOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!1111
 #4 
Old 2002-12-09, 03:23
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: UT2003

Most of the game is just the first UT with better graphics.

I could sit and watch the new physics engine all day, though. It is simply fucking beautiful. There's one level with a pit full of crossbeams, and dying and falling down there is just gorgeous...
 #5 
Old 2002-12-13, 11:21
Nismo Nismo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

The trophy room pissed me off. It shows five little trophies on a platform and says "congratulations!". What the fuck? I remember in the first one how you would stand in front of them in a big hall and make various gestures. While that wasn't completely satisfactory, it delivered a better feeling of accompishment. Mostly because Xan was a pain in the ass.
 #6 
Old 2002-12-13, 16:11
ChibiMiko ChibiMiko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

Why are you even on NetZero? its like a slightly less evil version of AOL.

Anyways, Get a new CPU.
 #7 
Old 2002-12-13, 23:01
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: UT2003

quote:
Originally posted by ChibiMiko:
Why are you even on NetZero? its like a slightly less evil version of AOL.

Anyways, Get a new CPU.



1. its cheaper.
2. To get a whole new cpu (if i got one it would be a 2 Ghz celeron cause its cost effective) I would have to replace the motherboard. I don't wanna do that. I would have to reinstall windows probbly. However I am getting a Gainward GF 4 4600 soon since the Geforce FX will make the price dip.
 #8 
Old 2002-12-14, 03:45
nothingSafe nothingSafe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

I didnt even bother with UT2K3, just as most of my friends. I dont feel the need for it, since Unreal 2 is coming out soon. I am a big fan of Unreal, and i think UT aint got shit on the normal Unreal. Ahh, the memories of playing it on my new Gateway 450mhz Pentium II on Christmas morning of 98. Can't beat Unreal...
 #9 
Old 2002-12-14, 19:54
silencer silencer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

I can't say that UT2003 is the greatest first person shooter ever, but it sure beats the hell outta pussy ass "realism" bullshit like Rainbow 6 and Counter-Strike.

Obviously none of you have ever really experienced any intense multiplayer FPS action. If you have a big group of friends (online and in real life) who play multiplayer stuff with ya its fun as hell!! Multiplayer PC games can be just as competitive and just as fun as sports in real life if you're a serious player.
 #10 
Old 2002-12-16, 13:08
Regular
 
Antipodes
Default Re: UT2003

Goddamnit...I only got a 1.2ghz PIII-m with a 32mb DDR GeForce 2 go...I wanna better GFX card but I can't get one cos its a LAPTOP! :'(
 #11 
Old 2002-12-16, 22:46
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: UT2003

quote:
Originally posted by ComradeAsh:
Goddamnit...I only got a 1.2ghz PIII-m with a 32mb DDR GeForce 2 go...I wanna better GFX card but I can't get one cos its a LAPTOP! :'(


hmmm brings up an interesting idea: Portable Video cards!
 #12 
Old 2002-12-17, 00:39
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

I got UT2K3, but dont get it till xmas. Hopefully itll run well on my system.

Amd Athlon 1.3ghz [im gonna overclock]
256 sd ram
64mb ddr Radeon 7000 [pci]

Ide like to get a new video card, by far, but thats not gonna happen anytime soon.
 #13 
Old 2002-12-17, 09:25
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

quote:
Originally posted by SomeEverydayNobody:
Amd Athlon 1.3ghz [im gonna overclock]
256 sd ram
64mb ddr Radeon 7000 [pci]




How far do you expect to go with the overclocking?

That pci card is like a ferrari on a muddy dirt road. It's has the same speed as a voodoo 2.
 #14 
Old 2002-12-17, 12:42
ChibiMiko ChibiMiko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

Hopefully it will run on my...

1Ghz AMD Athlon
128MB SDRAM
16MB TNT2
 #15 
Old 2002-12-17, 18:18
Regular
 
Antipodes
Default Re: UT2003

Now I gotta go find 10 G's and buy an alienware beast... Who here wants to be a hoe for Mr Ash?
 #16 
Old 2002-12-17, 23:08
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

I'm not gonna push it too far, I just wanna give it a nice boost. Probably 1.5ghz or so.

But Im waiting on getting my fans. So how far I go all depends on how many, and how powerful the fans I get are.

Im thinking of 3 case fans, and one more for the CPU. Im gonna setup a fan bus for them.
 #17 
Old 2002-12-17, 23:09
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: UT2003

hahaha, i dont know if it would run on a TNT 2
 #18 
Old 2002-12-26, 19:56
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

Well, this game was a big disappointment. I don't like it to much compared to UT. They took a few weapons and made them WORSE! For example, the rocket launcher now has no second fire and can only handle 3 missles at a time. Theres no more sniper rifel. I think in its place they put the lighting gun, which is a pain in the ass as it shoots so god damned slow. You can only shoot like once every 1.5 seconds, so you get murdered when youre surrounded.

The HUD sucks to. Its setup all goofy. And honestly, I dont like the maps. The ones they remade from the first UT [phobos and curse i think are the only ones] arent as good. They all seem more cramped, and a lot of them have this misty look to them. And you'de figure theyde give you a better selection of maps. When Im taking up 3g's for the game, Im not gonna be too concerned to take up a few hundred morre MB for a good selection of maps.

I was very dissapointed with this game.
 #19 
Old 2002-12-26, 21:18
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: UT2003

There's no sniper rifle? Wtf!
 #20 
Old 2002-12-26, 23:56
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

Yep. Like I said, its been replaced with a 'lighting gun' which takes a second to shoot. You hit the fire button, then theres a 1.5 second or so pause, then it shoots. Seriously annoying.

As well, one change to the mini-gun thats quite annoying, is now the gun must 'start up' before shooting. When you hit fire the first time, the barrel begins to spin, and then about a second later it begins shooting. Not that bad, but still annoying.
 #21 
Old 2002-12-29, 01:55
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: UT2003

Someone needs to make a sniper rifle mod.
 #22 
Old 2002-12-29, 03:37
SomeEverydayNobody SomeEverydayNobody is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

Or go blow up the Atar! head office!
 #23 
Old 2002-12-31, 08:51
darkwonders darkwonders is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

it's not just ut2003 with that damn minigun thing, every game on the next gen consoles that has a minigun has that feature, timesplitters2, turok, unreal (for xbox) and a couple others, and you have to sit there clicking and clicking so the barrel spins awkardly just under the rate that it take to fire to u dont' have to wait as damn long.

I have seen very few games with better graphics than UT2003 but it's like 2002 with better graphics and less to do.
 #24 
Old 2002-12-31, 09:13
silencer silencer is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: UT2003

I agree that good mods need to be made for UT2K3 to have been worth the purchase...but no sniper rifle? WTF do you call the secondary fire for the lightning gun then? And of course the rate of fire is slow, its sort of like quake's railgun.
 #25 
Old 2002-12-31, 16:42
Regular
 
Monkey Island
Default Re: UT2003

Exactly. the lightning gun is basically a sniper rifle. I love using it to take off peoples heads and have the arena dudes say: "HEADSHOT"

It's just a sniper rifle with diffrent ammunition, and it fires at the same rate as most game sniper rifles. EX: Sniper rifle from Soldier Of Fortune.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics