About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Games People Play
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Games People Play Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-25, 19:35
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Dreamcast emulator

The Dreamcast is a damn fine console, and while most people wonder off searching for the PS2 or XBOX emulators, I've been looking forward for the Dreamcast emulator. The emulation isn't about getting free console games on your PC. It's about coding. Tanslating the hardware of the console into the language of software. It's an art on its own. I don't think there will be a XBOX emulator any time soon. Even thought it would be pretty easy to make. The XBOX uses almost the same hardware and technology as the PC, so the emu wouldn't be very hard to make.

Now I think I posted this site a couple of months back, but no one replied. People always come in here asking for free roms and emulators, but never pay any attention when I (or someone else) try to show/educate them something new.

Well the Dreamcast emulator is almost done. Take a look at these screenshots. They're still not perfect, but they came a long way from something like 6 month's back.
http://icarus.boob.co.uk/screenshots.htm

You should check their screenshots archives so you can actually see the progress of the emulator.

I'm really looking forward to this one.
 #2 
Old 2002-11-26, 02:54
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

I already have a dreamcast
 #3 
Old 2002-11-26, 08:31
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

Bastard. Fam, do you have Marvel Versus Capcom 2?
 #4 
Old 2002-11-26, 11:57
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

MvC2 is law!
 #5 
Old 2002-11-26, 13:27
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

www.dcemulation.com - for all you homebrew DC needs.

I hope you go blind staring at that torrent of shitty sprites and mashing buttons. Capcom has lost their status as king of 2D fighters.
 #6 
Old 2002-11-26, 20:14
Zergling Zergling is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

Thats pretty cool actually.
But I mean most of the time when I play console games. Its for the fact that I want to play with a friend.
Or just relax in front of a TV. With the dreamcast controller.

Playing SNES roms on your dreamcast is all the better.

But yea how would the games work.
Because I know you can download games. But are you going to download a rom like for n64 that are around 100 megs or something.
 #7 
Old 2002-11-27, 08:23
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

quote:
Originally posted by The_Famicommie:
I already have a dreamcast


me too

having the real thing is like being in a cult. have you noticed? people who have the real thing and has the good games seem to attach religiously themselves to it. I know I have. heil Diem-kraast!
 #8 
Old 2002-11-27, 08:27
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

quote:
Originally posted by ThetaReactor:
www.dcemulation.com - for all you homebrew DC needs.

I hope you go blind staring at that torrent of shitty sprites and mashing buttons. Capcom has lost their status as king of 2D fighters.



actually, I'm almost privy to agree with you, however due to other reasons. MvsC2 is a great game, though, but i've noticed a disturbing trend in current Capcom 2D fighters: they're becoming too hard when they're not supposed to be. SFA3, SF3 srd strike, Capcom vs SNK, they're all too hard, even when you set it on 1 star! it's silly! and I just can't stand it any more! If I wanted a serious challenge and repeat fights over and over, I'd set it on 7-8 stars, not 1!

and then they're trying to put an emphasis on super moves, rather than good 'ol fashioned fightin'.

otherwise, Capcom kicks 2D ass!
 #9 
Old 2002-11-27, 13:57
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

Play Guilty Gear X on a VGA box. It is the prettiest damn fighter you'll ever see. Big, hi-res sprites, plus you can actually see the characters without the mambo-tango-foxtrot super extravaganza moves. It's not as cheap, either.

My Dreamcast has the top cover off at the moment. It shines it's orange beacon upon the ceiling. My genesis has passed, but it lives on through DC emulation...
 #10 
Old 2002-11-27, 18:27
djsam djsam is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

I love emulators as much as the next guy, but I've never felt the need for a DC emulator. The few that are still in stores here go for $30-$50, with games ranging from anywhere from $1-5, or cool deals like ten games for $30.
 #11 
Old 2002-11-28, 20:19
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

quote:
Originally posted by ThetaReactor:
Play Guilty Gear X on a VGA box. It is the prettiest damn fighter you'll ever see. Big, hi-res sprites, plus you can actually see the characters without the mambo-tango-foxtrot super extravaganza moves. It's not as cheap, either.

My Dreamcast has the top cover off at the moment. It shines it's orange beacon upon the ceiling. My genesis has passed, but it lives on through DC emulation...



ouch, I hope not through that sega smash pack thing, i hear the emulation is absolutely terrible, that they did a slack job on it.
 #12 
Old 2002-11-29, 01:35
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

Yes, I use Sega's emulator. The emulation is top notch, though. If it can keep up with Gunstar Heroes, it's passed my test. I have noticed a sound glitch with NBA Jam, but most games run perfectly.
 #13 
Old 2002-11-29, 03:51
nothingSafe nothingSafe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

quote:
Originally posted by XeNobiTe:
Even thought it would be pretty easy to make. The XBOX uses almost the same hardware and technology as the PC, so the emu wouldn't be very hard to make.


I see how that seems logical, but the fact of the matter is, the games on XBOX make a lot of procedure calls that simply dont exist on the PC. Also, they obviously tailor the games to ONE and ONLY ONE system, because they know exactly what everyone will be using to play the games. It would be very difficult to get XBOX games to play on PC, and even harder to make them run with decent fps.

I think anyone that is waiting for an XBOX emulator should stop wasting their time and just go buy an XBOX. They are going to drop to $150 on Sunday, so take your cash and go get one. Get a decent mod-chip for $50 and you are set! As for the games, try a search for 'xbox' on http://packetnews.com

Have fun!

[This message has been edited by nothingSafe (edited 11-29-2002).]
 #14 
Old 2002-11-29, 04:42
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

That is true. I didn't say that you could just run an XBOX game on your pc. But making an XBOX emu would be alot easier than to make a PS2 or DC or even a gamecube emulator.
The big problem with an XBOX emu, is as you said the decent frame rate. Games would run extremely slow, or you'd have to own some kind of super computer.

Here you can see the XBOX in 3D from the inside:
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=xbox
 #15 
Old 2002-12-13, 11:29
Nismo Nismo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

quote:
Originally posted by The_Famicommie:
I already have a dreamcast


Yes. One that doesn't run Shenmue, Grandia II, and hardly runs Dave Mirra BMX. This is why I have been looking for a DC emulator.
 #16 
Old 2002-12-13, 20:17
6C 6C is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

Well Xeno most people dont see it the way you do. Most people could give a shit about code and just want their free games...
 #17 
Old 2002-12-13, 20:22
cense cense is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

Shenmue rocks.
 #18 
Old 2002-12-13, 21:40
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

quote:
Originally posted by cense:
Shenmue rocks.


yes it does. NISMO, about your game problems, are those all the games you have? is it just that the games simply don't load, and the DC doesn't read the discs at all? I may know what your problem is, cause I had the same thing happen to me. try taking a q-tip, and some rubbing alcohol. put RA on Q, and gently dab and rub the lens with it. wait a minute or so afterwords, and then try the game. it should work fine. I know mine doesn't have any problems, except for the faulty sonic adventure disc, but that's ok. ive got 11 other games for me to bother with, AND a PS2...
 #19 
Old 2002-12-17, 20:36
Whiplash_89 Whiplash_89 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Dreamcast emulator

i have dc 3 controllers, 2 memory cards,
ultimate fighting chanpionship,
bust a move 4,
f355,
samba de amigo,
spawn,
dead or alive 2,
sega extreme sports,
dave mirra,
grandia 2,
vanishing point,
sanfrancisco rush 2049,
shenmue 2,
snk vs capcom 2,
guilty gear x,
uefa dream soccer,
hnl2k2,
nba 2k2
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics