|
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
register |
bbs |
search |
rss |
faq |
about
|
 |
 |
meet up |
add to del.icio.us |
digg it
|
 |
 |
| Games People Play Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more! |
 |
|
#1
 2002-10-14, 05:32
|
silencer 
Regular
|
|
|
|
What game to play
I'm a hardcore gamer who likes being skilled and having skilled competition. I played Quake 1 DM and was pretty good at TF, I was a fucking GOD in Q2 DM despite having ~300 ping back then. I really can't stand the shitty levels of Q3, so I have only played off and on, and I've never recaptured my former Q2 glory.  I played Counter-Strike for a while and I got pretty damned good despite hating the so-called "realism". But then around version 1, the CS programmers decided to nix the entire game and remake it into something else. People started cheating, so I stopped playing. I was also really good at Age of Empires 1. I never caught on to StarCraft cause the space shit sort of turned me off. I didn't like AOE 2 near as much as AOE 1 cuz they did TOO MUCH to balance the game and made units counter each other too effectively, which basically killed off most forms of "rushing". I quit AOE2... WarCraft 3 pisses me off cause AOE 1 and 2 involved way more strategy and more variables, plus they felt faster paced because the units didn't move slow as fuck. Any suggestions on what to play? Or should I just keep waiting and hoping that Doom 3 and Quake 4 don't suck ass?
|
|
#2
 2002-10-14, 05:38
|
Township Rebellion 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
try some console games. you want hard? the hardest ones are console games.
|
|
#3
 2002-10-14, 14:45
|
XeNobiTe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
Play Tetris on the original game boy. Prolly the best damn game in the univers.
|
|
#4
 2002-10-14, 15:00
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Through the looking glass
|
|
Re: What game to play
Challenging first person shooter: Tribes 2
Does it seem like I mention that game a bit much?
|
|
#5
 2002-10-15, 01:36
|
silencer 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
heh..... I played tribes 1 and 2 but never really got into em. The vehicles were cool, but all that open space really slows the pace of the game down. I prefer FPSes with smaller level...faster paced games that are more instantly gratifying.  Anyway, it seems like it's too late to get into tribes now and I should just wait for something new to come out. I guess I sorta just answered my own question...oh well. Suggestions are welcome  Xenobite, I still have my original black n white gameboy and I still play it sometimes.  Tetris gets old though after you've beat it. Township...I was thinking about getting into console games, cause that's about all my friends have been playing since we quit Counter-Strike. As much as I'm debating whether to spend $200 on an Xbox and Halo, I've held off as of yet cause there's no really good multiplayer games (over the net) and there's no mouse and keyboard, which would give you waaaaay more control than any shitty controller. 
|
|
#6
 2002-10-15, 04:36
|
XeNobiTe 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
HHmmm, why not play Unreal Tournament (2003)? Or you could wait for Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.
|
|
#7
 2002-10-15, 04:53
|
|
Regular
|
|
somewhere up there
|
|
Re: What game to play
You could try Medal of Honour or Return to Castle Wolfenstein
|
|
#8
 2002-10-15, 09:23
|
Tocsin 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
You could try playing the game Deus Ex, that�s a great game.
|
|
#9
 2002-10-15, 09:40
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
try Killer Instinct Gold, if you can do a 77 hit combo with Fulgore you can come back and ask for Goldeneye and how to gain all cheats ...
|
|
#10
 2002-10-15, 13:39
|
riot_kid 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
Go to an arcade, find a Capcom VS SNK2 unit. Get schooled. Rinse, lather, repeat. If you have a lot of friends and a PS2 you can buy the home version. There is a game that takes lots of skills but is insanely simple.
|
|
#11
 2002-10-15, 15:00
|
Renegade 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
I love Return To Castle Wolfenstien, my brother bought me it for a Christmas present.
Slightly addicted i was at that game.
Peace Renegade,
|
|
#12
 2002-10-15, 21:35
|
Township Rebellion 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
quote: Originally posted by silencer: heh..... I played tribes 1 and 2 but never really got into em. The vehicles were cool, but all that open space really slows the pace of the game down. I prefer FPSes with smaller level...faster paced games that are more instantly gratifying. 
Anyway, it seems like it's too late to get into tribes now and I should just wait for something new to come out.
I guess I sorta just answered my own question...oh well. Suggestions are welcome 
Xenobite, I still have my original black n white gameboy and I still play it sometimes. Tetris gets old though after you've beat it.
Township...I was thinking about getting into console games, cause that's about all my friends have been playing since we quit Counter-Strike. As much as I'm debating whether to spend $200 on an Xbox and Halo, I've held off as of yet cause there's no really good multiplayer games (over the net) and there's no mouse and keyboard, which would give you waaaaay more control than any shitty controller. 
actually, Keyboard and Mouse(s) are generally only good for most first person shooters. they're crap for everything else. XBOX is a great system, however, you would be surprised at the quality and sense of control you get from the playstation 2 controller. I gather you only want to play FPS? you should widen your interests, cause methinks you've been on the PC for perhaps too long. trust me, Half Life on the PS2 manages to control like a dream with the controller, as does Halo on XBOX. you've got all the buttons you'll ever need for a game. also, on XBOX, you should get Steel Battalion when it comes out. the whole thing does cost a full $200, however, this is an XBOX only game made by Capcom (woohoo), and it's a full fledged mech sim. this aint no sissy mechwarrier, this is one hell of a game. it comes with a specialty controller (trust me, you'll need it) that comes with every button and doo dad possible for a game like this. I'm not sure, but It may make use of the XBOX live feature (online play). you can read all about it in the latest iss of EGM. I think it's worth a look.
|
|
#13
 2002-10-15, 22:24
|
silencer 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
I've played Quake (1, 2 and 3) since 1996 and it's really hard for me to give up something I used to be really fuckin good at. Just thinking about the time before all this "L3375P34K" bullshit makes me nostalgic.  Nothing compares to mouse and kb for FPS games...nothing! Mouse and kb are also the best option for RTS games. You probably aren't a real hardcore fps player if you think a controller works anywhere near as well as mouse, no offense. Mouse lets you turn on a dime, aim in any direction almost instantaneously, and is altogether smoother and more natural than any controller or joystick. The inferiority of controllers to mouse n kb is what kept me from buying Halo and an Xbox. If any 3rd party ever decides to come out with a mouse, I will buy an Xbox the day their hardware is released  My $3500 computer has better controls, graphics, and superior sound to any console. Even so, I might still move to playing some console fighting games just so I have some fresh competition...my friends all play em. That Mech game sounds interesting, I'll make sure to look it up on google.
|
|
#14
 2002-10-15, 22:32
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Through the looking glass
|
|
Re: What game to play
It's never too late to begin playing Tribes 2. Also, there are a lot of small maps in it.
But anyway, what XeNobiTe said. Play Counterstrike. It's probably the best FPS and its maps are either relatively small or really small.
I don't think you're giving Halo a fair chance. Sure aiming and moving is easier with a mouse and keyboard, but the controls for the XBox aren't that bad. Once you get used to them it's all fun. Halo is an amazing game. Buy it now and you could have all the difficulties beat by the time Halo 2 comes out.
Oh... I almost forgot: Max Payne.
|
|
#15
 2002-10-16, 09:19
|
Tocsin 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
Well, if you love Quake 2 that much I have some nice little sites for you, they update Quake 2 engine to bring it more up to date with current engines. There is Quake2Max which is rather nice, with some great new affects. Check there forums for all the goodies though. http://modscape.telefragged.com/q2max/ And then there is the much more ambitious project, Quake 2 Evolved with some many new features it�s insane! A list of it�s features are: Feature List - As of 16th July, 2002 - Added support for mods. Now works with all mods. - Main menu totally re-worked. Now has a mouse driven UI similar to Quake III Arena's, with complete menu art overhaul. - New Shader system that works on 2D, 3D and model surfaces. - New Console. - New Smooth font. - Added shadows to fonts. - Added various commands to give better control over Quake 2. - Added Quake III Arena style console typing, allowing the type of functionality of the Quake III Arena Console. - Added 3 levels of fogs to maps by using the command r_fog 0-3. - Added the possibility of having large textures ( 4096x4096) - Added 32bit Targa image support for use on textures, skins and images. - Added Jpeg support for use on textures, skins and images. - Added new file system called *.pk2. This system is a zip format like that of Quake III Arena allowing zip files to be used instead of *.pak files. - Changed loading order of pak/pk2 files. Now: pk2>pak>Folder. - Changed drawing order of textures. Now .tga>.jpg>.wal. - Changed drawing order of skins. Now .tga>.jpg>.pcx. - Changed drawing order of 2D art. Now .tga>.jpg>.pcx. - Changed various in-game object models/skins. For example, the Strogg banner. - Added Quake III Arena style lagometer. - Added new shadows. Now theres none, oval, solid, and transparent. - Added 32bit Targe crosshairs to replace older ones. All have Alpha Channel support. - Completely re-worked the HUD system. You now have a static sized HUD, complete with new icon/number set. - Added a Quake III Arena style weapon selection bar that pops up when you switch weapons. - Added a Frames Per Second counter in the top right corner. - Resized all default id skins for models to numbers that are diversable by 2. - Slightly re-worked the particle system so that each particle is loaded from an image file. - Texture/shader set 1/4 complete. There's roughly a 1/4 of id's textures that now use shader effects. - Water warping. - International keyboard support. - Add muzzle flashes to all weapons and to the monsters fire. - Re-do particle system. - Complete work on shader system. - Re-Making the skins. - Re-Making the models. - Complete work on Extreme mode for Single Player. - Add chat bubbles over player's head when talking. - Re-define Quake II Multiplayer and make it more natural. i.e. proper Team Play, and our own VCTF. - Re-make menus for Mission Pack "Ground Zero" and "The Reckoning". - Add .avi playback. - Add more on-screen effects, such as blood dripping on the screen when you gib an enemy to close, a steamed up screen when getting out of water, cracked screen when killed etc. - Add Loading screen. - Add real weapon decals. No silly light hacks thanks. - Add real blood. See above  - Lens Flares. - Light halos. - Possible weather effects in certain maps. - New Multiplayer game modes. - Re-working the Single Player A.I. - Re-making the textures. With more on the way, the basic idea is that they are trying to bring people back to the good old quake 2 days by improving the experience and giving the engine away for free. The Quake 2 Evolved site is at: http://www.planetquake.com/blur/news.htm
|
|
#16
 2002-10-16, 17:57
|
Township Rebellion 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
quote: Originally posted by silencer: I've played Quake (1, 2 and 3) since 1996 and it's really hard for me to give up something I used to be really fuckin good at. Just thinking about the time before all this "L3375P34K" bullshit makes me nostalgic. 
Nothing compares to mouse and kb for FPS games...nothing! Mouse and kb are also the best option for RTS games. You probably aren't a real hardcore fps player if you think a controller works anywhere near as well as mouse, no offense. Mouse lets you turn on a dime, aim in any direction almost instantaneously, and is altogether smoother and more natural than any controller or joystick. The inferiority of controllers to mouse n kb is what kept me from buying Halo and an Xbox. If any 3rd party ever decides to come out with a mouse, I will buy an Xbox the day their hardware is released 
My $3500 computer has better controls, graphics, and superior sound to any console. Even so, I might still move to playing some console fighting games just so I have some fresh competition...my friends all play em.
That Mech game sounds interesting, I'll make sure to look it up on google.
Actually, I understand that completely. I know a keyboard is best for (most) FPS. however, there are certain games where a controller just feels right for it. Goldeneye/perfect dark for N64, Half Life for PS2 (although the keyboard is probably better), and definetely Halo for XBOX. and remember, you can get a KB/mouse for the dreamcast. and, it's still a sweet system, if you're like me and don't care if a system didn't do well, it's worth finding.
|
|
#17
 2002-10-17, 01:49
|
darkwonders 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
i would say get an xbox because the really really good ps2 games that wont see xbox, gta 4 is the only one i can think of will be on p.c. xbox online is launching in a month or two. Halo is prolly the best fps ever made and the vehicles. Omfg the vehicles. It makes is so much better. If you don't like moving slugishly in war craft hop into a warthog or banshee. And xbox offers a wide variety of games to keep you distracted until halo 2 comes out or other online games such as morrowind, max payne, dead to rights, hit man2 fuck yeah, medal of honer, gta 3, the matrix should kick ass, 1942. And once you get to the xbox controllers you will prolly like em more than ps2 if you have the right sized hands or buy a small controller. If you want challenging try beating the first freakin level in halo on legendar mode, may take u a while.
|
|
#18
 2002-10-17, 01:55
|
darkwonders 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
did u ever try empire earth, it's a bit different than aoe but it's good. Also im not into it but i got some friends that love c&c. If you get onto the server for tiberian sun there is still tons of freakin people and that game is like 5 years old.
|
|
#19
 2002-10-19, 01:48
|
gun-nut 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
half-life: day of defeat -almost any gun is 1-hit killer -stamina limit for jumps -low clip capacity (aim your shots) -recoil: the x-hair need to be adjusted after every shot -no funny cheats (server is cheat protected) -rifle bullets shoot through walls -grenade pick up (like real life, not the stupid CS where you cant pick the HE and throw away)
|
|
#20
 2002-10-29, 00:53
|
Obelisk1125 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
quote: Originally posted by darkwonders: did u ever try empire earth, it's a bit different than aoe but it's good. Also im not into it but i got some friends that love c&c. If you get onto the server for tiberian sun there is still tons of freakin people and that game is like 5 years old.
those are good games, along w/ c&c red alert2. also try the delta force series. those are old but still good stratigy 1st person shooters.
|
|
#21
 2002-10-29, 17:27
|
Tchort 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
Day of Defeat, because there will always be hundreds of people better than you. http://dayofdefeatmod.com
|
|
#22
 2002-10-29, 23:38
|
moist phish 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
I like the half-life mods...such as Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and Firearms...download theme at counterstrikemod.net and dayofdefeatmod.net there bad as shit... ---moist phish
|
|
#23
 2002-11-02, 04:11
|
Damaged 
Regular
|
|
|
|
Re: What game to play
Try the following, they're all PC and all kick ass: -Max Payne -Return to castle Wolfenstein -Hitman -Hitman2 -Thief (a bit old I know) -Thief 2 erm.. yeah or check out game review sites 
|
|
 |
 |
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.

totse.com certificate signatures
|
 |
 |
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
|
 |
 |
 |
 |
|
|