About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Games People Play
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Games People Play Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-09-13, 12:35
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Virtual Boy

Did anyone actually ever own this system? I read about it a couple of years back and was interested in it, but never actually found one nor did I ever hear anyone talk about it. Looks like a pretty cool console and I wonder why it never got famous.
 #2 
Old 2002-09-13, 16:29
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Virtual Boy

I played one on several occasions, and it was pretty cool. The 3D was pretty realistic. It just never sold well. Most people don't want to pay $200 for a system with monochrome graphics, no split-screen multiplayer, and warnings of eye damage all over the box.

You can pick one up on eBay for about thirty bucks, though, and I've considered it more than once, just to keep my Nintendo collection complete.
 #3 
Old 2002-09-13, 16:56
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

Even Romance of the Three Kingodoms doles out less headaches than that abomination of a console. Seriously, the setup causes migraines. There are about three good games out there for it. On the whole, it's a cool piece of history for a collector, but it's usefulnes ends there. Now I'm going to go play Virtual Tennison that beast...
 #4 
Old 2002-09-13, 22:57
eth0 eth0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

I have one, i bought it right when they decided to stop making them, they knocked the price down to like $25 at Wal-Mart, so i got one. It was worth $25, but not much more. I think it would've been better if they would of kept making games. I like how it looks 3d, but i only have one game(the game that came with it.) The setup is really shitty though, because its hard to store and hard to use in, say, the car. I busted the legs off it while it was in the closet, so now i dont use it...
 #5 
Old 2002-09-14, 00:42
Nismo Nismo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

You better believe I have one. Or rather had one, as I gave it to Famicommie. Games like Red Alert showed me what it was like to go through an epiliptic seizure, while games like Telero Boxing, Wario Land, and Mario Tennis kicked more ass then many other games on the snes. To cut it short: The Nintendo Virtual Boy was Nintendo's way of pushing polygons first, outside of Star Fox, though now that I think about it, they were released about the same time...
 #6 
Old 2002-09-14, 05:31
Moderator
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
while games like Telero Boxing, Wario Land, and Mario Tennis kicked more ass then many other games on the snes.



but your arm was nearly falling off after a while ...
 #7 
Old 2002-09-14, 07:59
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

I remember playing red alert. it was fun for awhile, but my head started to hurt after awhile.
cool system, anyways.
 #8 
Old 2002-09-14, 15:39
MaTrIXSpiirit MaTrIXSpiirit is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

MAN, "MARIO TENNIS" TOTALLY KICKED ASS!!!

I spent like 200+ hours on this game for sure. I probably got a seizure too, I don't remember, just that when I used to be done playing my eyes were red.

-=MaTrIXSpirit=-
 #9 
Old 2002-09-14, 15:40
MaTrIXSpiirit MaTrIXSpiirit is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

*(Goes back to closet to pull out his "Virtual Boy")*

-=MaTrIXSpirit=-
 #10 
Old 2002-09-14, 22:56
Regular
 
ATL, ho!
Default Re: Virtual Boy

i played em at store displays n such. i would buy one now though just to get really blazed and play all the games in 3d.
 #11 
Old 2002-09-15, 18:07
draggo draggo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

I wish I could get one of those.
 #12 
Old 2002-09-15, 18:18
draggo draggo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

How many games did they make for the virtual boy?
 #13 
Old 2002-09-16, 04:00
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

quote:
Originally posted by draggo:
How many games did they make for the virtual boy?



less tham ten, I think.
 #14 
Old 2002-09-16, 04:45
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Virtual Boy

I think around thirty games, if you count the Japanese releases.
 #15 
Old 2002-09-16, 15:07
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

I wouldn't count those, because VB's are region specific so you would have to hunt down an imported VB to play those games.
 #16 
Old 2002-09-18, 01:55
Terbo Terbo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

Those things are AWESOME!

I got one at Walfart when they went on sale, too.

Just because some people couldn't handle the occasional seizure, they had to cancel it...
A random, uncontrolable, frothing-at-the-mouth seizure is good now and then!

 #17 
Old 2002-10-22, 17:11
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

Virtual Boy US game list:

3D Tetris
Galactic Pinball
Golf
Jack Brothers
Mario Clash
Mario's Tennis
Nesters Funky Bowling
Panic Bomber
Red Alarm
Red Alarm demo cart
Teleroboxer
Vertical Force
Virtual Boy Wario Land
Virtual Boy Wario Land demo cart
Virtual League Baseball
Waterworld
 #18 
Old 2002-10-22, 22:08
Moderator
 
Facedown in the shag rug.
Default Re: Virtual Boy

If we must bring back dead topics, we should make good arguments.

The Virtual Boy is region-free. It will play any game that will fit in the slot, just like a Game Boy.

So there's a total of 22 games.
 #19 
Old 2002-10-23, 00:03
ChibiMiko ChibiMiko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

Yup I have one sitting under my bed, the only game I had for it was Virtual Tenniss, It was pretty fun, lot better then any Tenniss game for gameboy.

-Chibi
 #20 
Old 2002-10-23, 03:07
sirhacksalot10 sirhacksalot10 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Virtual Boy

yep, i had one of those things too. i traded it for a some shitty cd that i think i eventually went out and shot at. damn i wish i still had that thing. i had mario tennis and wario land for it, the tennis was awesome but wario land really blew nuts. i bought mine when they where new for like $100. anyways, i don't think i ever had a seizure after playing mine, although i did have a fucking migrane like every time.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics