About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Games People Play
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Games People Play Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-06-18, 15:22
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default PCs vs. Consoles

I don't care what people say about PCs, I will always take the console. To me, playing games on a PC feels soulless compared to using a console. Adam the Gale (for those who remember) agrees. I can't really describe it, but playing the original Legend of Zelda on the PC sucks rancid ass compared to playing it on the NES. You can have your FPS's, I'll keep my consoles.
 #2 
Old 2002-06-18, 15:36
Kanibus Kanibus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

id say both platforms have their ups and downs, and anyone who calls one better than the other obviously doesnt have both. but i wont make any substantial statements cuz i can already see this turning into nuthing but a simple flame war.

[This message has been edited by Kanibus (edited 06-18-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-06-18, 16:18
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

Well, I'm a pc gamer. I just can't see the fun in console games (except the handheld). I've discussed this too many times in other treads so I won't whine about it here.

I've made a summary for both platforms here somewhere
http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum17/HTML/000399.html
 #4 
Old 2002-06-19, 15:44
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

I love my consoles. I have access to both, but I never have and never will cherish any PC over ANY of my old consoles. Great games like Smah bros, Jet Grind Radio, and Sonic Adventure will never be released on a PC, that market is dominated by FPSs and RPGs. And for some inexplicable reason, I have more fun with my consoles.
 #5 
Old 2002-06-19, 15:54
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

Don't forget strategy games.
 #6 
Old 2002-06-19, 15:56
The_Famicommie The_Famicommie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

Ah, how could I have done such a thing as forget those? There's only eight thousand out there, half just like command and conquer, and the rest made by blizzard...
 #7 
Old 2002-06-19, 16:07
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

Yeah, there's alot of PC games out there. I only want one more game on the PC and that's Tekken 3. More fighting games should be brought to the PC.
 #8 
Old 2002-06-19, 19:02
eth0 eth0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

One major upside to PC's are that you can get the games for free, and play online. I dont know about you guys, but nothing can beat the SNES or the Genisis. I think that they should make a new system that is 16-bit and make new games for it. I think it'd be bought by many people for the nostalgia factor alone. Plus, it'd be cheap ass hell compared to the other systems.
 #9 
Old 2002-06-19, 19:33
tHeRoBoT49 tHeRoBoT49 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

quote:
Originally posted by The_Famicommie:
Ah, how could I have done such a thing as forget those? There's only eight thousand out there, half just like command and conquer, and the rest made by blizzard...


You have a point there, Fami. Almost every strategy game ever created for the PC is either a Warcraft clone or a C & C clone. But there are a few innovate strategy games that don't follow this formula, like Black and White, Battlezone, and Civilization.

Eth0, your best bet for that 16-bit console you're dreaming about is the Game Boy Advance. Many games from both the SNES and Genesis are being made for it. Examples are Maro World, Zelda: Link to the Past, Metroid Fusion (similiar to Super Metroid), a new Sonic game, and the list goes on and on. You can even buy the older games like Link's Awakening, Bionic Commando, and Crystalis. And yes, there are dozens of new games too.

I like PC gaming and console gaming pretty much the same, but during the winter months I was mostly playing online. This was because I had high speed internet at school, and it gave me a chance to replay many of my older games online. So all last year, it was Diablo II, Half-Life/CS, and Jedi Outcast on the school LAN. Since I have a dialup at home, this internet speed is a blessing for me.

I was thinking of getting a new console now, maybe a Gamecube or a PS2. I wouldn't have the time to play it though. I am working full time this summer and I'm playing Golden Sun and Tactics Ogre right now on my GBA.
 #10 
Old 2002-06-20, 22:07
Whiplash_89 Whiplash_89 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

the best thing you can poccibly have is a brand new pc, with a game pad, 32" tv instead of monitor, and a good game.

im not saying this is better then console, but pc's will always be more powerfull. why not just play games on it. i understand that you cant bring some games like aoe to console or games like tony hawk to pc and expect people to buy them...

but if you have a ood controller or game pad youre all set. plus consoles are a long way from having online gaming like pc already have. sure they will come out soon with 56k modems for x-box, ps2, and gamecube. but everyone (almost) on the internet has cable, dsl, or better...it will be a while before consoles catch up.
 #11 
Old 2002-06-21, 03:06
Adam The Gale Adam The Gale is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

What is a beach without sand? What is a dog with out its bark? Nothing! A game was made to be a part of a greater thing, that thing is the Console. When a game is slip into its rightful space in it�s designated Console there is magic. I make no sense but F you all I�m depressed and emulation sucks it�s cool for certain things like previewing game and games that cost 2billion dollars but for the most part everyone should go out and buy a Nintendo and masturbate��.. Bacon
I need sleep���.zzzzzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzzzzzzz���.zzzzzzzzzz���zzzzzzzzz���zzzzzzzz����..zzzzzz�����..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz�����.zzzzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzzzz����..zzzzzzzzzzzzz�����.zzzzzzzzz��� ��zzzzzzzzzzzz�����.zzzzzzzzzz����..zzzzzzzzzzzz����.zzzzzzzzzzzz�����.zzzzzzzzz����.zzzzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzz����..zzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzzzzz���� zzzzzzzzzzzzz���.zzzzzzzzzz..zzz��..zzzzzzzz�..zzzz�.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz���zzzzz���zzzz���.zzz����.zz���.zzzzzzzz���.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz����..zzzzzzzzz����zzzzzzzz�zzzzz.z.z .z.z..z.z.zzzzzzzzzzz����.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz�.
 #12 
Old 2002-06-22, 05:12
syphon detonator syphon detonator is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

PC=options
Console=tied down to one manufacturer

pc is far more versatile and fun to play. you can mod and tinker on the pc.
 #13 
Old 2002-06-22, 05:50
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

true true

just check out these cases
http://www.zones.tv/colorcase/html/cases/index.htm

I've seen a modification of the PC88BLACK case and MAN. 2 extra coolers in the front, left side made of plexiglass, everything repainted in a metalic color, those little neon lights on the inside,.... dude that thing looked more like some futuristic red light district than a pc .

I just got the CG7013G5 maxi tower. I'm gonna modify it completeley. Afther sommer vacation thet is.

[This message has been edited by XeNobiTe (edited 06-22-2002).]
 #14 
Old 2002-06-23, 06:59
Township Rebellion Township Rebellion is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: PCs vs. Consoles

quote:
Originally posted by Adam The Gale:
What is a beach without sand? What is a dog with out its bark? Nothing! A game was made to be a part of a greater thing, that thing is the Console. When a game is slip into its rightful space in it�s designated Console there is magic. I make no sense but F you all I�m depressed and emulation sucks it�s cool for certain things like previewing game and games that cost 2billion dollars but for the most part everyone should go out and buy a Nintendo and masturbate��.. Bacon
I need sleep���.zzzzzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzzzzzzz���.zzzzzzzzzz���zzzzzzzzz���zzzzzzzz����..zzzzzz�����..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz�����.zzzzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzzzz����..zzzzzzzzzzzzz�����.zzzzzzzzz��� ��zzzzzzzzzzzz�����.zzzzzzzzzz����..zzzzzzzzzzzz����.zzzzzzzzzzzz�����.zzzzzzzzz����.zzzzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzz����..zzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzzzzzz�����zzzzzzzzzzzz���� zzzzzzzzzzzzz���.zzzzzzzzzz..zzz��..zzzzzzzz�..zzzz�.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz���zzzzz���zzzz���.zzz����.zz���.zzzzzzzz���.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz����..zzzzzzzzz����zzzzzzzz�zzzzz.z.z .z.z..z.z.zzzzzzzzzzz����.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz�.



Right fucking on!

this is what we're talking about.

PC games just don't seem to have the magic.

HEY ALL YOU PC HEADS: you go ahead and hate consoles, figuring they're no fun, and that you can't tinker with them (caugh*bullshit*caugh*Dreamcast*).

hey, who gives a damn. you obviously have no soul. and, PC's just aren't made for fighters. the best place to find those are the arcades/consoles. the thing is, there are very few PC fighters out there, so they never made a proper arcade stick to play the few games there are, and none of them are worth playing, anyway. and playing a fighter with a keyboard? It just doesn't work.

You think you can't tinker and fuck around with a console? didja know that NES, PSX, and DC are the most popular systems to modify? I've heard of people putting in performance chips to pump out hi-res on a normally low res game. I've heard of millions of different converters, and plenty of neat=o gadgets and controllers you can get for them. sure, you probably can do a little more with a PC, but who cares? You aren't impressing anyone. If you are, then they have a sad life indeed.

One thing, though, the new consoles out there are coming out with broadband modems, not 56K. sorry to bust your bubble, Whiplash.

And yes, Consoles just have a special... quality about playing the ACTUAL game on the ACTUAL console. the controller in your hand, your but on the couch (for most cases), and you (and possibly a few friends) having shitloads of fun. Take it from me, I have both PC and console, and I still take console over this crappy thing. Solder of Fortune and Half Life, Viper Racing and ages of empires are fine and dandy, but I lost my interest pretty quickly with 'em. they just aren't fun!

I don't honestly care if you can get 2.4 gigabytes (or bites, I honestly don't know) of ram, and DSL super modems and all manner of high-spec shit, and I don't care if getting games are free and whatever else. and I definetely don't care about emulation, other then a quick fix. I want the magic, the fun, the pure, unbridled gameplay of a console. you keep your Compaq's and IBM's, I'll be with fammie and Adam here playing sega, Nintendo, sony, Microsoft, NEC, Atari, etc.


good day, all


-TR
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics