About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Entertainment > Games People Play
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Games People Play Games People Play is where to discuss personal computer, video game console, and arcade hardware and software - be it RPG, Sim, Strategy, Fighting, Action/Platform, or any other category. Although discussion of modern platforms/software will most likely dominate, discussion of classic videogame/computer hardware and software is always enjoyable, and certainly welcome - ESPECIALLY since there are public domain/shareware emulators of nearly every older computer/console available these days. Here's a taste of what awaits you: Nintendo-vs-Sega-vs-Sony, Console-vs-PC-vs-Mac, Hardware spec sheets/information, Industry news and discussion, Software reviews, IRC conference announcements/Reports, Emulators, Emulators, Emulators! ... and much, much more!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-08-22, 21:56
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

Both awesome games. Chrono cross is in stores now, if you can get hold of a copy (good luck!) and valkyrie profile hit's stores 1 week today.. I just got my copy today, and it has an awesome storyline.. Based on Norse mythology, all about a goddess who has to find the souls of heroes on the mortal plane, to become part of Odin's hero squad type thing.. Cool concept.. And chrono cross is just millions of hours of playability, with 40 playable characters no less..

 #2 
Old 2000-09-02, 06:12
Bloody Redrum Bloody Redrum is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

is it hard to find a copy of CC?
i didint find it hard, but then again i ordered 2 months in advance

{note: ill never ever ever make another post in this wickedly wicked place again}
 #3 
Old 2000-09-03, 06:30
Matius Matius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

My grandma (ya you heard me, shes awesome) just got Chrono, and she's already almost at the end, I first played it today, and I got to the part where your main dude gets drowndededed and YOU DO THE TIME WARP AGAAAAIIIIN. But its not very often that I get so engulfed into an RPG so soon in the game, this ones a keeper, and tomorrow I'm gonna go back over to her house and play.
 #4 
Old 2000-09-03, 06:53
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

your grandma plays video games?! that is the fucking deal. my grandparents are too boring.
 #5 
Old 2000-09-03, 07:54
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

awesome..

 #6 
Old 2000-09-03, 20:09
Matius Matius is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

My grandma is cool, her life consists of playing RPGs, smoking, drinking, cooking good food, swearing and gambling.
 #7 
Old 2000-09-03, 20:32
Kanibus Kanibus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

my grandma kicks ass at super mario!

i also love chrono cross, and i must say its a very well put together game. im also excited for the release of the new zelda:majoras mask. and i have started to save up my money for the new nintendo system thats coming out in october of 2001. it was code named dolphin for a while, but for those who dont know, its now officially called The Game Cube. it's actually shaped like a cube too.

[This message has been edited by Kanibus (edited 09-03-2000).]
 #8 
Old 2000-09-04, 02:49
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

well if ya'll need any hints on how to do stuff in CC, I'm a pretty good source of info..

Yeah, I know ALL about the cube.. I'd buy a PS2 before I bought a nintendo system though.. simply because Sony has a way better way of encouraging games from all genres on their machines.. How many RPG's have ever been made for N64??

How many for PSX?.. big difference in numbers let me tell you..

as for Xbox, well, I'll have to wait and see.. Dreamcast still hasn't won my approval, for the reason that there are no really good games to play on it (I own one, and hardly ever play it).. still, when grandia II comes out that will be cool..

 #9 
Old 2000-09-04, 03:50
Kanibus Kanibus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

i aint gonna go into elaborate detail, but i happen to read a lot, and i happen to have read an article comparing playstation2 to game cube. game cube and playstation share many features. one of these is the DVD drive. this will kick ass. also nintendo hooked up with ibm, and made some kool shit. one of these is the 1.8 copper bit compression effect technology. this allows for that polygon-looking shit to be eliminated(as if the DVD drive doesnt do that enough). all in all, the game cube is ur best bet!
 #10 
Old 2000-09-04, 04:08
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

my grandma shifts from her bed, to a recliner, to the cough, to the dinner table. she just oozes... (she must have bad knees or something). she barely does anything interesting. just watches soaps all day.
 #11 
Old 2000-09-04, 23:10
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

no offense Kanibus, but you're reading things a little wrong. The DVD drive has absolutely ZERO to do with low polygon or high polygon rendering, and the compression won't affect that either.

The reason games use low-polygon characters and backgrounds etc, is only slightly to do with how much memory space they take up, and it has a lot more to do with the rendering engine.

What happens when you play a game is this. Say you're playing a game like Tomb raider. Lara's walking down a tunnel, with rocklike walls. You can turn and look at the walls from a number of different angles right? Well rather than having 360 degrees worth of pictures on a disc (this is where the memory part DOES come in) what will be on the disc is maybe 8 or nine different pictures of the wall. What the rendering engine does, is takes what it has calculated the wall position to be, finds the pic it has that's closest to that orientation, and stretches and moves it around to fit. Now, bear in mind, that this all has to be done in real time, as you're walking or running around the screen. The more polygons (or flat surfaces) the rendering engine has to work out how to display, the slower the game plays. So, conversly, the better the rendering engine, the faster it is, the more polygons it can handle before your game slows down. Thats why the best CG scenes are non interactive, because they come prerendered on the disc, you only look at them in one orientation, so they can be prerendered and triggered to play just like a movie. I guess the amount of memory or compression affects this part, because you'll be able to have longer CG scenes taking up less disc space, but thats about it.

I'm not saying the cube is going to be better or worse than the PS2, but whats the point of having the best system around if there are no games to play on it?
 #12 
Old 2000-09-05, 01:47
Kanibus Kanibus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

i read it at fucking nintendo.com, you homo ass bitch! dont blame me for fucking it up ho!
 #13 
Old 2000-09-05, 02:18
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

some people learn that they're wrong, and the just blow up... damn. im glad i dont have that kinda anger problem.
 #14 
Old 2000-09-05, 03:02
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

umm.. yeah and of course Nintendo is going to tell you the total truth and nothing but the truth..

Unlike you, obviously, I understand how a game console works. DVD and compression technology will have NOTHING to do with whether it's games will be low poly or not..

Maybe you should go somewhere other than nintendo and read about REAL TIME RENDERING, and Rendering engines, then maybe you wouldn't appear to be such an ass. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to stuff like consoles and 3d graphics..

Oh, and by the way, if you didn't notice, I'm the moderator of THIS forum, so if you call me a "homo ass bitch" one more time, I'm gonna censor your ass to the wall.(1)

(1)Trippy McGee
 #15 
Old 2000-09-05, 03:06
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

Oh, and you may happen to read alot, but so do I, and I also happen to run a gaming site.

 #16 
Old 2000-09-05, 06:14
Alan Smithee Alan Smithee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

thats censor your face to your ass, and she'd be well within her right to do it she tried to explain somthing to you in a patient and noncondesending manner. Also I would consider it a horrible loss to men every where if suzie girl were a lesbian, a woman that runs a gaming site, be still my heart.
 #17 
Old 2000-09-05, 18:56
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

dang I got the quote wrong, oops..

I'm not a lesbian alan, , I run www.gamethrust.com along with my boyfriend and another guy.. when it comes to stuff like games etc, I'm pretty much on top of it.. and my experience in the whole concept of 3d graphics and rendering engines, and knowing exactly how they work, means that I know what I'm talking about..

Stupid thing was, I didn't even say that Nintendo won't eliminate low-poly games, just that the reasoning Kanibus was using was totally flawed. Their rendering engine might be totally superior and eliminate everything, but I'm gonna wait and see.. and I'm still going to buy a PS2 in the mean time
 #18 
Old 2000-09-05, 23:50
Kanibus Kanibus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

dammit, i hate it when im wrong! not that i was wrong, i just enterpreted nintendos review of the different thing used on the gamecube wrong. and i was also right in that it will, without question, have superior and better technology and graphics. i alsoknow a lot when it comes to technology and stuff like that.
 #19 
Old 2000-09-06, 00:49
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

Quote "Instead of going for the highest possible performance, which does not contribute to software development, our idea was to create a developer-friendly next generation TV game machine that maintained above-standard capabilities. " (www.nintendo.com)

Please, source your information on the gamecube and back up your opinions, because I'm interested to know why you think what you do. I explained fully why what you said was wrong, explain to me why "it will, without question, have superior and better technology and graphics"... better than what? are we comparing just the PS2 here? or how about the Xbox? BESIDES which, I said the main reason that I would buy a ps2 before I bought a cube, was the fact that nintendo has a terrible way of producing games. If you look at the N64, 80% of the games are either designed for kids, or sports games, or both. I hate sport games, I hate shooters, and I'm not too fond of kids games.

As for "without question" well, very little is known about the gamecube so far, and all that has been released is stuff straight from Nintendo. Can we say "biased"? Until I see a gamecube, or see an independent review of it's qualities, until I actually play a game, I have no way of judging it. I'm certainly not going to go on someone else's word, especially when most of what they're saying is trying to convince me to buy their product. But I guess you're their idea of a perfect consumer..

I mean, look at specs, N64 should be better than PSX right?

BS is it.. same with DC.. sure, I like the dreamcast for some of it's smooth graphics, but noone's taken real advantage of it's capabilities yet. I'd still go with a psx everytime if I had to choose.. Despite specifications, it performs better, obviously developers like it, and there's a wider selection of games for it..

And kanibus, don't you think you ought to apologise to me? You were wrong, I didn't insult you in any way, I just told you how the hardware actually works.. What you were saying was something like "My computer has a 28gb harddrive. That means it can process information faster and better than your 14 gb harddrive"....

And DESPITE everything you've said, I still haven't called you any mean names...

 #20 
Old 2000-10-12, 02:02
digital digital is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

yeah, i read a half-ass, shitty review of valkrie profile @ gamethrust.com
 #21 
Old 2000-10-12, 18:49
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

Please, let me know what you thought was bad about that review, and give me some basis to respect your opinion.. Since that review hasn't been up for over three weeks at gamethrust, ie, since I quit working there to move to another site, I must conclude you have your head up your ass, and are just trying to be annoying
 #22 
Old 2000-10-12, 22:38
digital digital is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

the review was totally based on the fact that you were waiting for the game x amount of months. ur still an arrogant bitch.

[This message has been edited by digital (edited 10-12-2000).]
 #23 
Old 2000-10-13, 23:30
Suziegirl Suziegirl is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

Sorry, but you must be confusing me with someone else, since I never once mentioned having waited for Valkyrie Profile at all.
Certainly not for months.. There ARE games I've been waiting for, but that was not one of them. Calling me an arrogant bitch is hardly a way to get me to respect your opinion by the way.

Did you register yesterday especially just to tell me how my review sucked? If you're trying to annoy me, it won't work, sorry, you lose.

Any reason why you took the "Magus" part off your name?
 #24 
Old 2000-10-14, 21:34
digital digital is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile

i've been watching posts here for the last 2 months. a friend who works w/ me posts here all the time. registering to annoy you would be a waste of both of our time. i registered here because the members seem intellectual and mature rather then posting w/ a bunch of kindergarden seeds. i was compelled to that post because i feel that some people aren't challenged enough when they make comments. others just sit there and accept it.

anyway i agree w/ you on software support making or breaking a system. at school i hear people talk up x-box because microsoft is behind it. but do these people look at the developers who signed w/ x-box? probaly not. i believe you need powerhouses like namco, square, and konami + a console w/ high powered architecture and processing unit + multi-level(6yrs-24yrs) advertising. oh experience would help.

after reading the argument between you two (kanibus and suzie), it seems that kanibus is a nintendo advocate. the true hardcore gamer would buy the x-box, ps2, and the g-cube totally disreguarding expense. using hype to fuel the desire to buy the system and enjoy the games. i have a $250 car payment, a $52 phone bill, and $50 rent due next week. i'll be damned if that shit is going to get in my way of getting the ps2 and a few games on launch. the others can fuckin wait!

i dropped the 'magus' bc i orignally wanted digital but it was taken on gt. i had no idea that choosing digital magus would sterotype me as a previous asshole who posted there.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics