About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > General > I Found it on the Web
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I Found it on the Web Cool web sites to visit. If you want to promote your web site, post the URL here. Misleading links and destructive html links will not be tolerated, please include a full description of your link. Also do not post any referal based sites or advertisements.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2001-04-19, 01:49
Kameron Kameron is offline
Regular
 
Default Who's watching you?

I knew most of this already from having messed around in web logs for years now but I have never seen it so well displayed as at these sites. The truth is that you are being watched even as you browze, where you link from where you go to not to mention or IP (come on you did know that) are all logged by every site you visit.
To find out what your browzer gives away about you try this.

The rest of that site is quite an eye opener if your not already familiar with http and TCP/IP not to mention the horrors of Java and VB.

You can of course go to the trouble of using SafeWeb but how many of you do that?

Privacy net has some information on stopping this stuff but these are better.

To stop cookies selectively there is a good piece of software called the cookie crusher which I use and _have paid for_ (*feels very smug*) this is very unusual for me as I hate bit of software which say things like free to try and then stop working before you've tried them but this is good, free and they are a company well worth supporting. One of the few other bits of shareware I've ever bought is NoteTab cause its brilliant.

For more info on how the govt. (UK government - sorry for you folks in the US) is trying to snoop in to our private affairs read this, which was in the sunday times but is unusually very liberal in its POV.

This post really should have been split up into three different sections in different forums but you'll have to live with it in one now I've written it.

~Kameron
All those in favor of losing your rights, please do nothing.

If you are masochistic enough to want more of this privacy/encryption stuff mail(ukkg@lineone.net)/ICQ me.



[This message has been edited by Kameron (edited 04-19-2001).]
 #2 
Old 2001-04-19, 04:13
Ain Ain is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who's watching you?

Thanks for the Links Kameron. And for bringing it up.
But do you think its a battle to be won? Or just pissing in the wind trying to stay ahead of the game? This is a Big issue and I'm interested in your opinion.



------------------

Ain
 #3 
Old 2001-04-19, 18:27
Kameron Kameron is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who's watching you?

Public Key Crypto gives us the tool, Open source encryption gives us warez we can trust, short lived keys protect us from losing anything but the most recent data sets, solidarity can mean that there are too many people using it to make it illegal, Hush mail will bring it to the masses in the form of web based email, pgp freeware can ensure wide take up, and people caring enough about their privacy to do anything will make it happen.

The futures bright the future is encrypted.
BUT people must care or it will never happen.
Use encryption. This is unfortunatly the sticking point. In order for you to use it your friends must for all email regardless.
You cant send someone an encrypted message unless they have created a bloody key and getting them to do that it difficult, but not as difficult as getting them to Authenticate the dam thing.

Is your privacy worth it?

~Kameron
All those infavor of losing their rights please do nothing.
 #4 
Old 2001-04-20, 22:04
hennessny hennessny is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who's watching you?

thanks alot Kameron for the info. But I was wondering what could people really do with all the information they gather form us....
 #5 
Old 2001-04-20, 22:22
sckbch sckbch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who's watching you?

If you can believe it, it could not trace or analyze my pc. I suppose that's good.
 #6 
Old 2001-04-21, 17:54
Mustard Mustard is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Who's watching you?

That is rather scary. But from the info in the article I should be alright as long as I don't draw attention to myself, also my name isn't that common. Thanx for that.

------------------
Do as I say, Not as I do.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics