About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Science > Science of the Damned
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science of the Damned Paranoia, ghostly delusions and the science of the damned.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-11-01, 13:55
EvilN EvilN is offline
Regular
 
Default "Fake" or "clone" moon sighting

Around 2 months ago, I looked out my west window, and there was the moon.Only it wasnt.It was about 2/3 the size of the moon, orangish/redish/purplish colored, and shining THROUGH the trees as if there were no trees there.I know this wasnt the real moon because I could see the real moon in the sky.A friend I know in another state saw this too, only he saw his last night.Anybody know what we saw?
 #2 
Old 2002-11-01, 20:38
Regular
 
Sweden Hyperborea
Default Re: "Fake" or "clone" moon sighting

EvilN

This will become a little fuzzy as I am not too sure about the right terminology in english, but anyway...

There is a known phenomena, somewhat similar to a mirage. Under certain conditions of air-temperature, humidity and so on, it is possible to see a "second" moon or a "clone" moon. As much as I don�t know any figures, I�m sure that the humidity of the air must be more than average at certain hights in the atmosphere. Sometimes this is of no significance to the humidity at the ground or a few metres up, but on other occasions the air at the ground is also more humid. Not enough to make a visible fog, but perhaps enough to distort the "clone" moon and the trees in front of it. Then the result should resemble your description. This is my best guess.

If that for some reason doesn�t fit in, there are electrical phenomenas in the atmosphere that make a glow. Ball lightnings (if that�s the name for it in english) is only one of many. If there is like marshland below where you saw the "moon", it could also have been a gas-phenomena, of the kind that started the myths of Willow the Wisps. It�s gas that ignites itself, usually close to the ground, but it has been seen at the height of, and in, tree-tops.

FoxLeonard
 #3 
Old 2002-11-06, 22:54
Regular
 
If she's easy, take'r twice.
Default Re: "Fake" or "clone" moon sighting

wow man that sounds EXACTLY like something off of men in black as one of their memory deal erasers ya know man. holy shit.
 #4 
Old 2002-11-30, 09:33
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: "Fake" or "clone" moon sighting

I thought I was seeing a second moon behind a tree once but it tyurned out to be a streetlamp.
 #5 
Old 2002-12-06, 01:58
pink spid3r pink spid3r is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: "Fake" or "clone" moon sighting

It could of been a illusion to the eye, and your mind can play tricks on you like that.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics