About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Science > Science of the Damned
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science of the Damned Paranoia, ghostly delusions and the science of the damned.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-07-20, 03:53
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default For the seekers

Thought I would give this a try and I decided to put it in this section because I feel it is closer to a science than a religion. This is going to be a reading list, long or short depending on wether you contribute or not...and your perspective. If you do contribute please contribute the names or/and authors of books that you feel you have gained something from. I imagine this list to be broad in book topics, but focused on enlightenment, which by the way includes health. Sooo, without further adoo... OH! p.s. this is in no particular order and just off the top of my head. Feel free to add any commentaries to any of the books and feel free to repeat any book titles.

the "I Ching"
Sun Tzu's "Art of War"
"The Tao Te Ching"
"Zhaun Falun"
"Tibetan Book of the Dead"
"Sepher Yizterah" by Areyah Kaplin- a very complicated book, it's more like a workbook. Also I would suggest reading the following book along with it.
"The Mystical Kabbalah" by Dione Fortune
"Eastern Mysteries"
"Western Mysteries" - both also complicated and focused on languages and number codes and much much more.
"Iron Shirt Chi Kung I" by Mantak Chia
"Awaken the Healing Tao" by Mantak and Maneewan Chia
"Bone Marrow, Nei Kung" by Mantak Chia- there's more, just can't think of them, I would suggest following the advice and warnings.
"21 Lessons of Merlin" by Douglas Monroe
"Earth"
Holy Bible, the New International Version and/or the King James version
"Koran"
"Torah"
"Liber 777" by Aleister Crowely
"Equinox III 10"
"The Celestine Vision" by James Redfeild
"The Celestine Prophecies" by James Redfeild
One of those may be wrong.
"The Secret of Shambala" by James Redfeild
"Abramelin the Mage Book 1"
"Abramelin the Mage Book 2"
"The Greater Key of Soloman"
"The Lesser Key of Soloman"
"...and the truth shall set you free" by David Icke
"Tao of Physics"
"The Minds I"
"Zen Speaks" - great for beginners, illistrated with cartoons and funny


 #2 
Old 2002-07-20, 09:13
Regular
 
Basking under my light bulb
Default Re: For the seekers

I aint sure what you're wanting Curious.
Ive read a couple of those books in your list and they is good.


[This message has been edited by Beany (edited 07-20-2002).]
 #3 
Old 2002-07-20, 13:29
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

I agree with Beany, I too don't get what you want. However, the book I'm currently reading is Cicero's "The Nature of the Gods".

Nox
 #4 
Old 2002-07-21, 01:33
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

Perhaps I used to many words. I just wanted to create a reading list.
 #5 
Old 2002-07-21, 16:03
Regular
 
Basking under my light bulb
Default Re: For the seekers

Well the 'Tibetan book of living and dying' i have almost finished and it is very close to my overall ideas about god.
'Conversations with god' helped me a lot with understanding how god could possible exist. I was thinking about reading it again so i can compair all my new beliefs.
Celestine prophecy which is interesting.
I also have the Urantia book but it so damn big i aint gonna start it yet
Beany

[This message has been edited by Beany (edited 07-26-2002).]
 #6 
Old 2002-07-21, 16:13
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

quote:
Originally posted by Beany:
Well the 'Tibetan book of living and dying'


Take a look at some of the prayers in that book and substitute the name Jesus Christ whenever a diety is referenced and see what you have.

Nox
 #7 
Old 2002-07-21, 21:01
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

"Atlas Shrugged"-Ayn Rand
"Slaughter House 5"- Kurt Vonnegut

and I'm about to start "We the Living" by Ayn Rand, only have a hundred or so pages left in "Atlas Shrugged"
 #8 
Old 2002-07-22, 12:10
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

Every book I've read, which = a blur of titles, authors and information, but here are the ones I remember and haven't already been mentioned:

Autobiography of a Yogi -Paramahansa Yogananda
The Dhammapada
The Bhagavad Gita
Hermetica -Brian P. Copenhaver
Tibets Great Yogi Milarepa -W.Y. Evans-Wentz
Sadhana -Sri Swami Sivananda
Practical Vedanta -Swami Rama Tirtha


All the books from http://yoganiketan.net/

[This message has been edited by evolove (edited 07-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by evolove (edited 11-13-2002).]
 #9 
Old 2002-07-23, 16:26
Renegade Renegade is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

I have the tibetan book of the living and dying. I had a look at it off my mothers book collection shes a buddhist.

Peace Renegade,
 #10 
Old 2002-07-25, 07:30
segue segue is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

hey bogey if you like vonnegut read sirens of titan, if you havent already, one of his best
 #11 
Old 2002-07-26, 00:21
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

I just got into Vonnegut, I plan on reading Mother Night next. I just finished Atlas Shrugged tonight so i'll probably start it within the next couple days. I decided not to read another Ayn Rand book right away like i said in my other post.
 #12 
Old 2002-07-27, 10:10
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

The Urantia book was an integral part of the period in my life when I felt certain that whatever God was, it was temporarily, a houseguest. i used to wonder daily why the newspapers weren't aware of the goings on...
I admire wanting to be prepared to complete something when you begin it, but since it is so long, why not open it up and read here andd there and then see if any of the random text applies to your present day to day existence.
Nice thread btw~
 #13 
Old 2002-09-16, 03:56
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

Kundalini Tantra - Swami Satyananda Saraswati
 #14 
Old 2002-10-07, 19:32
Raf_the_Penguin Raf_the_Penguin is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

personal habit with reading books is to take as long as it takes off from everything and completely immerse myself in the book, absorbing toking it all down in one big hit, holding it in for as long as possible then exhaling ever so slowly.... well it was till i tried it with "A Seperate Reality" (second in the Teachings of Don Juan series by Carlos Castaneda, DAMN excellent book, still gotta read the first) and sketched off the wall for a few days, jus gonna remind you all to take it all in in a slow relaxed manner otherwise you lose bits n pieces n get detrimental effects..

(i bet if i tried to read the new testament in one night id be feeling some pretty strong emotions towards Jesus and it certainly WOULDNT be love....)
 #15 
Old 2002-10-26, 03:36
night_sky06 night_sky06 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

i'm not sure if this is exactly the kind of book ur looking for but "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan is a very good book that mixes all sorts of psuedo-science in w/ religion and science.
 #16 
Old 2002-10-26, 16:39
Ikba333 Ikba333 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

"Dreamtime and Innerspace: The World of the Shaman" by Holger Kalawit (spelling of name may be off a letter or two)
That is a great book to explore ALL types of "holy men". Check it out!
 #17 
Old 2002-11-13, 11:34
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

I just found a tressure trove of books here by Sri Swami Sivananda, http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/download/download.htm
 #18 
Old 2002-12-04, 06:45
teabaghookie teabaghookie is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

hahah david icke! anything by david icke haha oh man. well, i have one thing to recommend and it isnt reading, it is music. i am sure most people have heard it but if i was asked what one thing has influenced my philosophy more than anything else it is dark side of the moon by pink floyd, pretty much everything by pink floyd prior to the final cut. dark side of the moon is most important. it isnt just the lyrics either it aint just the music either, you would understand if you listened.
 #19 
Old 2002-12-05, 23:33
quantumleper quantumleper is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

"Ishmael"
"My Ishmael"
"The Story of B"
all by Daniel Quinn

"The Center of the Cyclone"
by John C. Lilly

"The Tenth Insight"
by James Redfield, which is the sequel to
The Celestine Prophecy


[This message has been edited by quantumleper (edited 12-05-2002).]
 #20 
Old 2002-12-08, 00:55
roja roja is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: For the seekers

You MUST read everything by Robert Anton Wilson and Timothy Leary. some books include:
Promethius rising - RAW
Cosmic Trigger Trilogy - RAW
Coincidance - RAW
Also books by Wilhelm Reich, G. I. Giurdjieff, also read "Mutant Message Downunder" by Marlo Morgan. Also read All three "Conversations with god" by Neale Donald Walsh. I have read all these books plus the ones listed here plus books by Terrence McKenna (I went to a lecture of his in hawaii and HE WAS INCREDIBLE). All these books are saying the same thing... YOU CREATE YOUR REALITY with your thoughts!!! Reality is just an illusion. Although RAW would say... try to go just one day without using the word "is" or "be" or any derivative thereof. Instead of saying, "reality IS an illusion" you would say, "reality seems to be an illusion to me."
Instead of saying, "the sun is shining," say, "the sun seems to be shining as my brain perceives it". We are all programmed by neurolinguistic semantic barriers. Think about it. Read books on "Neurolinguistic Programming". Read all the books you can get your hands on. Educate yourselves!!!! Knowledge encourages evolution. LET'S EVOLVE ALREADY!!! I'M TIRED OF WAITING FOR THE REST OF HUMANITY TO CATCH UP!!!!
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics