About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Science > Science of the Damned
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science of the Damned Paranoia, ghostly delusions and the science of the damned.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2002-07-03, 18:16
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Full moons

You always hear about how people get the crazies when its a full moon, well they might not just be stories.
The moons gravitational pull affects more than the tide, it also pulls upon brain cells, thus giving people the crazies

I wonder if the first stories of werewolves have anything to do with this. maybe some guy went crazy under the full moon, dressed up as a wolf, and went around biting people.
but thats probably just wishful thinking on my part
 #2 
Old 2002-07-03, 21:09
MR.SMITH MR.SMITH is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

i had the crazies once, i dressed up like a shark and ran around biting people.

JUST KIDDING,

I dont think the full moon would have enough of an effect on your brain to make yo go insane, and then afterwards(if it did), wouldnt your brain tissue still be damaged??
 #3 
Old 2002-07-03, 21:12
Bogey Man Bogey Man is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

I don't know much about it, but if it has the power to change entire oceans, I'm sure it could have the power to move a few brain cells around
 #4 
Old 2002-07-04, 05:56
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

Maybe it's effect on the electromagnetics of the body would have more influence?
I not sure how much or little but it has to have some effect,
Plus looking up at a full moon could triger some condition responses, especialy if you think that full moons make you go crazy
 #5 
Old 2002-07-04, 15:01
tr0g tr0g is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

It is true Guys. They researched police logs and found out that crime goes up 35-40% on full moon nights. But its not a full moon but a day or 2 after a full moon. They call this "The Shaved Moon". So its Shave Moons that people get the craziest.
 #6 
Old 2002-07-04, 15:56
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

If you take a look at the derivation of the word lunatic, that pretty much tells the story.

Additionally, it is a fact that police complaints, murders, robberies, etc. have a higher frequency during a full moon.

Nox
 #7 
Old 2002-07-04, 19:17
negative_zero negative_zero is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

quote:

It is true Guys. They researched police logs and found out that crime goes up 35-40% on full moon nights. But its not a full moon but a day or 2 after a full moon. They call this "The Shaved Moon". So its Shave Moons that people get the craziest.



very true. crime rate does go up during and near the full moon period. although i am not sure about people actually morphing.

# negative_zero
 #8 
Old 2002-07-06, 02:12
xXxBiG_EviLxXx xXxBiG_EviLxXx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

one time i saw a cat
 #9 
Old 2002-07-06, 09:20
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

When I worked at the Better Business Bureau years ago, all the ladies there were very much professional and definitely not inclined to give much credence to anything that varied even slightly from what they considered "customary customer consideration & standard business practices"

I used to get in trouble for telling inquiring consumers too much about questionable businesses for whom we had multiple, huge files of complaints....

These ladies had every full moon marked on all the calenders in the office,in as much as they'd worked there forever, it seemed they had at least...in that place it was common knowledge that the full moon brought out the "loonies". We had a file for these complaints called the "Crackpot" file.

I wish I'd made copies of some of those becaue they were priceless.

I remember a lady calling and complaining that there were dogs running up and down the street. They were just running...up...and...down....they wouldn't stop...Another filled out our complaint form requesting that we interevene on her behalf and stop the members of her family and their evil associates from spying on her through the television and stop their assasination plot and the administration of drugs into her brain through the lighting .
 #10 
Old 2002-07-07, 17:18
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

Once when I was a kid, it was full moon outside and the window was wide open. It's actually funny how I can remember this stuff, but I remember every detail of it. Somehow I was sleeping with my eyes open and was staring right at the moon. I got into this trance. It wasn't pleasant tho. I started to cry but I couldn't wake up and was haveing some kind of nighmare/hallucination. I saw some people from a picture tha was hanging on the wall (past away relatives) right there in the room. They were standing in the corner. I was really scared (I was 8 or 9 years old). My mom heard me cry and came in but even when she woke me I was still in this trance. Like an awfull bad trip. I don't know if this had anything to do with the moon or the light it reflected upon me but it was the most weird thing that ever happend to me. Even now I don't like it when it's full moon and I become nervious.

[This message has been edited by XeNobiTe (edited 07-07-2002).]
 #11 
Old 2002-07-08, 00:36
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

Could be that you got into the trance and could see the people in your life that care about you and tried/try to help you in life. Physically dead or not, they still exist and they are their to help you in any way they can. From what I've read they tend to be family members. This is probably why the Druids/Celts and many other religions/people worshiped ancestors and the dead. Kids don't learn about this kind of stuff in school, probably why it freaked you out.

Sorry, not trying to change the subject.

[This message has been edited by CuriousMonky (edited 07-08-2002).]
 #12 
Old 2002-07-08, 03:27
Regular
 
Yami no tensai
Default Re: Full moons

The moon has something about it whioch makes people go nuts. I think it's something to do with the light.

Next time there is a full moon and a clear sky, just go out and stare directly into that big moon face. Just keep looking at it, it fucks with you, makes you feel wierd.
 #13 
Old 2002-07-09, 18:39
XeNobiTe XeNobiTe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Magneto:
The moon has something about it whioch makes people go nuts. I think it's something to do with the light.

Next time there is a full moon and a clear sky, just go out and stare directly into that big moon face. Just keep looking at it, it fucks with you, makes you feel wierd.



You have a point there man. And it's true. I've tested this together with some other people.
 #14 
Old 2002-07-10, 01:45
Nox Nox is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Magneto:
The moon has something about it whioch makes people go nuts. I think it's something to do with the light.


I read somewhere that there was a theory that gravity was the culprit. However, I have a hard time with that one because with a full moon, the gravitational pull on the earth would be closer to equal (moon on one side, sun on the other). I would think that if gravity were the culprit, things would be worse during a new moon (moon and sun on the same side).

Nox
 #15 
Old 2002-07-10, 01:47
ChibiMiko ChibiMiko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

maybe its the fact that its bighter outside and the human body doesent feel it needs to sleep yet, making them tired (witch makes you reckless) and annoying, and pethetic, and irrtabile, and dangrous, and you get hungry but you cant find any do you go out then realise your not wearing any underwear but you dont care and walk into a sushi joint and everyone stair's at your ass crack while you shove straw's up your noise and chock sticks in your eye's, then peopel luagh then you get pissed and kill everyone with a set of chop stick's then you stop on all there body's and shove sushi up there ass's and you rape those cute little waitresses and then start eating battery's and go buy really big dildo's and run around beating people to death with them but then cops come but then you stab them to death with your chop stick's still in your ear's, then you for some reason take off all your cloth's and dress the cops in them, then you hijack a train and then a post sign clips your balls and rips them off then you start to run around screaming "VI VA REVALUTION" while start shitting out battery's, then you walk into a bar.....

-Chibi

-The insain one
 #16 
Old 2002-07-10, 01:49
ChibiMiko ChibiMiko is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

quote:
Originally posted by ChibiMiko:
maybe its the fact that its bighter outside and the human body doesent feel it needs to sleep yet, making them tired (witch makes you reckless) and annoying, and pethetic, and irrtabile, and dangrous, and you get hungry but you cant find any do you go out then realise your not wearing any underwear but you dont care and walk into a sushi joint and everyone stair's at your ass crack while you shove straw's up your noise and chock sticks in your eye's, then peopel luagh then you get pissed and kill everyone with a set of chop stick's then you stop on all there body's and shove sushi up there ass's and you rape those cute little waitresses and then start eating battery's and go buy really big dildo's and run around beating people to death with them but then cops come but then you stab them to death with your chop stick's still in your ear's, then you for some reason take off all your cloth's and dress the cops in them, then you hijack a train and then a post sign clips your balls and rips them off then you start to run around screaming "VI VA REVALUTION" while start shitting out battery's, then you walk into a bar.....

-Chibi

-The insain one



....and you ask me how random you can be?

AND THIS IS TERRIBLE GRAMMER AND SPELLING!

-Chibi

-The man who makes fun of himself
 #17 
Old 2002-07-10, 16:45
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

Ok, well, if anyone has any better ideas than this just let me know.
I think it is like this.. the light from the moon is just light reflected from the sun...and our planet. But the moon only reflects...ohh, i can't think of the words I'm looking for to describe it...low frequency light, such as your common household "black" lights. Along with this the moon only reflects some of the suns radiation, also for some reason I think, low frequency. Like I said, I can't think of the correct words. So, all in all, the reason is because during a full moon, the moon reflects more of this light and low end radiation than it does when it is waxing or waning. Some one also pointed out that perhaps it's not "ON" the night of the Full Moon, but one or two nights afterwards, perhaps this is because of the amount of time required for the radiation to bounce off the moon and come back at us.

Just some crazy stuff for you all to think about.
 #18 
Old 2002-07-12, 16:56
CuriousMonky CuriousMonky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

No other ideas??
 #19 
Old 2002-07-16, 00:26
kefak kefak is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Full moons

I read before that since were all livin biological entity's we may have natural rythm's that are directly influnced by nature( to use the example that was given, getting up with the sunrise and going to bed around sunset).
I know we established there is a pattern of increased violence and stuff during or shortly after full moons but what I think this is sayin is that it not an actual physical effect caused on the body by the full moon but something like the body using such occasians to time its own cycles.
In the same way mabye the moon influnces natural cycles of increased urges for violence or what ever the individual(s) concerned get up to.


[This message has been edited by kefak (edited 07-16-2002).]
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics