About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Science > Science of the Damned
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science of the Damned Paranoia, ghostly delusions and the science of the damned.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
This particular thread is a partial recovery - page 1 of its original capture was never archived, so some posts from that page are missing below.
 #1 
Old 2001-04-21, 00:28
Kameron Kameron is offline
Regular
 
Default Why are you afraid of Death?

These are "facts" which I have proved to my own statifaction.
Religion happens on earth and here on earth is where you make your heaven or hell. When death over takes us, I like to think of life as a race between life and death where life is a sprinter and death is the long distance runner, we know who will win over eternity.

When you die your self, the neural netwerkz that give us consciousness, stop working, the kemical processes that allow you to experiance cease to function. your DEAD.
Heaven, hell, reincarnation etc and religion all in all is for the people whos neutral netwerkz are still working and need to go on functioning with out people who they have become used to being around.

------------------
~Kameron
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)
 #2 
Old 2001-04-21, 04:06
sykotic2001 sykotic2001 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

and how may i ask, did you go about proving these "facts" to your own "statifaction"?
 #3 
Old 2001-04-21, 14:03
Kameron Kameron is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

Just for staters. I'm a Physicist I look for evidence, I'm used to making value judgments of the basis if error prone and incomplete data.
The evidence shows that there is no reason for any "after life". The idea that Life on earth is a sort of test on the basis of which you are allowed in to heaven or not seems to me frankly ridiculous.
Rencarnation implies there is a non-infinite limit on consciousness which is also mad.
These truths I hold to be self evident.
If you want more. I got it.

------------------
~Kameron
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)
 #4 
Old 2001-04-22, 17:53
jordax jordax is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

I belive we are all objects in a vast expance
eg. universe
the mind is no more than a computer is.
if we die, it is the same as your computer
being blown up! nothing is left, nothing
passes on to another world or some shit like
that...
<<<A WORLD OF COMPLEX CHEMICAL REACTIONS>>>
 #5 
Old 2001-04-25, 05:05
XavierTheGreat XavierTheGreat is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

so you say if the body dies the mind go with it? i say your wrong. i say our minds are prisoner insside of our brain and can't leave any time it wants, but it sometimes does(astral projections and out of body experiances) and when we die our mind escapes like a prisoner from a destroyed prison, so then religion comes into play, what happends to our mind? does our prison come for us-reincarnation- or does our mind wander free in another world-most religions with gods. if you ask me death isn't the end, its just a new begining, a way to do what you didn't have time for what you couldn't or any thing else, and if anyone fears death it isn't death, it is the fear of what will happen ofter they die.

---------------------------------------------

this has been the veiws of a 13 year old, if you feel that my veiws are to advanced for my age, well sucks for you

------------------
once your on the road of life... well sucks for you

tomorrow will be as far as 24 hours away or less then a second from our grasp

which came first, the Mac or the wheel?

if we shadows have offended,
think but this,
and all is mended that you have but slumber'd here
while these visions did appear
 #6 
Old 2001-04-26, 02:53
joe1627 joe1627 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

Hey so far the person i am seeing at the same level as me is Nih, death is the only thing we can rely on, it will never change

What is now forever will be
From Joe
 #7 
Old 2001-04-26, 09:21
lostmind lostmind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

silicon spectre, i disagree.

to say that whatever you believe in will be what happens.

i just can't see it.

every belief is different, even if it follows a religious text.

what would end up happening is an eternity of loneliness.

i have a friend who's atheist, which means he just ceases to exist at death?

einstein all but disproved that notion.

but if wrong would mean i would have to spend eternity without some of my closest friends,

because of differing beliefs.

that sounds more like hell to me than any other definition.

i think we all go to same place, but because none of us have ever been there you can't say for certain what it's like, and maybe, just maybe 98-99 percent of religions are incorrect, with the last one percent just hitting on the edge of what really is.
 #8 
Old 2001-05-02, 01:25
Student_Zer0 Student_Zer0 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

People fear the unknown. No one knows what happens after you die (except in the relgious sense, but all said is. Hell. Utopia.) (oast examples from societies) Blacks. Whites. Jews. Monkeys. CLowns. Aliens (oops, future example ) et cetra.

People fear what they dont understand and what happens to the consciousness after death is inexplainable.
 #9 
Old 2001-05-06, 09:14
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

Nihilism, are you so weak-minded that everything you believe in must be certain?

How do you know the earth is round???
The government told you so,
How do I know that Christ was real???
The Bible told me so,
I'm pretty sure the earth is round.

You gotta have faaaaiiiith!

Nihil, loosen up, you need a woman, and no, i don't mean your hand that you drew tits on with a magic marker.
 #10 
Old 2001-05-13, 19:24
WoodyWoodpecker WoodyWoodpecker is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

For one thing there is no afterlife such as heaven or hell. There is just the reality of what we perceive right now and nothing else. So enjoy life to the full and basically do what the fuck you want and dont hurt people or animals and at least when you die people will say "Oh well he lived life to the full and wasent a boring bastard who went to church"
 #11 
Old 2001-05-17, 05:35
Regular
 
Behind the boat house
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

Twice I've had a gun pointed to my head and a knife pulled on me once. I've also attempted suicide eight times. However, since they were only attempts they were obviously subconciously mere attempts to piss people off instead of actually killing myself. If I'd really meant to kill myself, I would have succeeded.

Still, the fact that I've been faced with death (and other near encounters) twice I can honestly say that I am not afraid of death, as a person might think.

The knife was the first time anyone tried to kill me and I was only a kid. I was about eleven or something. May be twelve or thirteen and these two older African American kids jumped me because I was white and they beat me and cut me up. But, when they had the knife to my throat I told them, word for word:

"Go ahead. Kill me. See where that gets you." I can actually remember the exact words, it was so traumatizing. After that they beat on me some more and left me by some bushes near our flat.

The second time, and the first time I'd had a gun to my head was my mums ex-boyfriend. I was about thirteen and he was beating on my kid sister, who was only four, so I started hitting him. Then he went in his bedroom and got his gun. He had me up against the bathroom wall with the gun under my chin. He told me he was going to kill me and he shot a hole in the wall. And I told him, there

"I'm not scared. I want to die." Again, I was beaten and he left me in the shower with the water on.

The third time, and the second encounter with a gun, I was fourteen and I was walking through the South Side of my neighbourhood when I was pulling into an alley by these five Latino guys, from the opposing gang. One had a gun to my head while the others were riping off my clothes. I thought they were going to rape me. But, one of them kept telling the other ones to stop in Spanish. I asked the guy if he was going to kill me and he just told me to shut up. I told him to do it fast and then the gun went off, but the bullet didn't hit me. It hit the wall behind me and the guys ran for it.

So, accounting for these experiences, I think I can honestly say that I am no longer afraid of death, really. Not that any of them were very pleasureable. But, they were realistic previews to the real thing.

Cheers,
Lost
 #12 
Old 2001-05-17, 14:46
PcThUg2ooo PcThUg2ooo is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?


Death comes quick or slow.
The only certain thing in life is death.


Some people are scared, and some people like white witch dont care... Just two ways to cope with the thoughts of death. Deal with it whichever way you want. Just remember at this moment we dont have the technology to attain everlasting life.(such a time may come, not that i think that anything can be everlasting.)
anyways..
Deal with it however you want... its a sure bet.. YOU WILL DIE...

just try to have fun while your still young, try to live a honest life (in your own mind) and try to be happy, its much easier than being over-run and ruled by anger.

peace....
 #13 
Old 2001-06-24, 10:31
DoPesTeR-DaZe DoPesTeR-DaZe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

its human nature to fear any big change

probably because of some psycological impact when we are young or something!
 #14 
Old 2001-06-25, 07:30
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

Noone who thinks there is nothing after should be on this board. You should be out skydiving or something.
 #15 
Old 2001-06-26, 20:55
wyrmus wyrmus is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

I've given it alot of thought. As far as I can tell, all fear has its root in our primal instinct for survival. In the the case of death, this is easy to see. In more complex situations, social, economic, fear being a mechanism designed for the self-preservation of the ego is a bit obscure.
As a matter of fact, just about all of our emotions are somehow tied to our lower sapien faculties. For me it has only been unblemished faith in God that has kept my animosity at bay. (sometimes) Whole sale acceptance that some day the "I" will no longer exist is nothing but falsity. To identify ones self with ones body is the basis for this fear of death. Enlightenment to the nature of the All ( more commonly refered to as the Big Picture), disolves dissoluisionment and the beleif that "Thou art That".
Once this has been achieved, fear its roots growing from the soil of materialism, withers and dies. But only after the untethering from worldly pleasures has been gained then may one move about freely among them. This ease of movement leads to a long and fruitful life.
 #16 
Old 2001-07-05, 15:32
lostandconfused lostandconfused is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

you shouldn't worry about death.

just make sure you...

try everything
try everyone
try limits

and you should go ok, u only have one life so fuck the world and lets get high!

let me fly!!!!!!!!
 #17 
Old 2001-07-06, 12:31
JOKER187um JOKER187um is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

Well, What I think about all this bullshit is, that there is only one GOD and it is just everything positive in our world. "GOD" is just another word for HOPE, because, why don't people think of "GOD" when everything is going good in their lives.Why is "GOD" only brought up during bad times, because when we think of God we think of hope. that one day thing will be better.

Also I been thinking about this for a while now. Say if somebody is born into a christian family and is raised to beleive that christianity is IT and that is the real religion and everything else is fake and the person trully belives it. Well what if the same person was born into a musslim family or a jewish family, what the hell is he gonna think then.

OR what if the world is like the movie MATRIX (which I loved), but instead
of the computer controlling individuals its the government and the sociaty thats doingg the controlling, by telling us that drugs are bad or you have to go to school if you want to be smart and get a good job. all that is bullshit they are trying to use to control us like sheep. Drugs expand the human mind to other possibilities.that it doesnt have to be the same bullshit over and over, like being good and going to school and obeying all the laws so you can go to some expensive fucking college so you can get a degree and get a "good" high paying job and go to work from nine to five and pay your taxes like a good citizen so you wont go to jail and be "Free". THEN you teach your kids to be the same way and on and on. WELL thats bullshit, cause you are not free. You have to wake up at nine and take lunch at one and get of at five or six, for what? some prick that you dont know or even seen.

Shit I got deeper into this shit than I expected. Well email me tell me wats up.

All I know is to be free is to live with NO LIMITS and not to do something because somebody else thinks its wrong(fuck em)and do what you want.(But there are special cases when you cant, like considering the loved ones and thair feelings)

Because when you are in your death bed you think back and say "I had a pretty cool fucking life, I lived life to the fullest and fuck whoever disagrees".
thats when you are ready and happy to die.

Fuck Im still going
Anyways Later people,
Email me with jkr187um@hotmail.com
 #18 
Old 2001-07-06, 12:56
evil_scientist_86 evil_scientist_86 is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

I'm more curios of death..... not afraid. I'm in no hurry to die but I am curios as to what will happen when I die if anything?

------------------
The "Art" Of Flying is
really a "knack", the
knack is being able to
throw yourself at the
ground...... and m
 #19 
Old 2001-07-07, 20:05
-=-goatboy-=- -=-goatboy-=- is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: Why are you afraid of Death?

...and miss


Joker,
Society does define what is right, and in doing so it makes those things 'right'.

First of all, drugs are 'bad'. The ones that don't really fuck you up make you less profitable as an employee or a citizen, you become more likely to impede on the rights of others. I'm not saying don't do drugs, some are great, but don't go so far as to say they aren't 'bad'. They are.

The reason you go to college is because an employer is more likely to hire an educated person rather than the alternative. In some cases its just because they want the best, in others its because otherwise people could die. How would you like to find out your surgeon never even went to college?

A good job is defined by a couple things, money: the more you make, the more you have. Hours: its never bad to get to decide when you work. the job itself: noone likes to shovel shit. a 'good' job isn't called a 'good' job for nothing.

That wasn't deep. It sounded like Angry Child Syndrome
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics