About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Science > Science of the Damned
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science of the Damned Paranoia, ghostly delusions and the science of the damned.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-08-09, 08:07
Tha_Orange_Munky Tha_Orange_Munky is offline
Regular
 
Default twirling screen...

ok.. i guess this can fall in this forum.. earlier today, as i was entertaining myself with a game of good ol snes, the screen started twirling like i was shaking my head really fast. It happens alot to me.. I'm thinkin its either because i barely sleep OR my blood sugar, being that my mum is hypoglycemic and grandmum a diabetic... any ideas?
~Zee Munky~
 #2 
Old 2000-08-09, 12:51
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

No more drugs for you.
 #3 
Old 2000-08-09, 21:14
Tha_Orange_Munky Tha_Orange_Munky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

no.. i don't use drugs actually "trippy". not for a while i haven't atleast. i quit them all including cigarettes. the only "drug" i use is caffeine
 #4 
Old 2000-08-09, 21:15
sckbch sckbch is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

No more caffeine for you then.
 #5 
Old 2000-08-10, 04:04
xmonkeyfistx xmonkeyfistx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

It would be helpful if you knew, or could surmise as to whether it was everything in your field of vision that experienced this disturbance, or simply the screen. If it was just the screen, you can get the very simple answer to that in any basic book regarding magnestism. If, however, it was the entire field of vision, I would need to know more about your medical condition. Keep in mind, though, I'm a chemist and medicine is not my practice. Some more information would be helpful in diagnosing what occured...
 #6 
Old 2000-08-10, 05:12
AtomicZagnut AtomicZagnut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

Video games cause problems for epiliptics, as do those goddamned Pokemon. If you have epilipsy, that's what caused it.
 #7 
Old 2000-08-10, 05:13
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

monkeyfist,

one explanation that fits the bill is not necessarily the correct explanation. as a chemist I would expect you to go by this, science is a body of knowledge built by questioning, theorizing, and testing.

For example, I've been doing research lately on electronically protecting steel from corroding in any way while immersed in a water emulsified bis-phenol epoxy resin, no co-solvents. A customer of ours has experienced problems of iron compound deposits on their parts. One thing we determined is that the [Fe] is high. The annealing which is black iron oxide, Fe2O4, is coming off of the steel. In a basic solution, we have proven that basic iron salts do form that most likely originate from interruption in the half reaction of red iron oxide, Fe2O3. Beyond that we have many theories that foot the bill perfectly, but when we apply methods that on paper should work we don't get nearly the expected results. We have several explanations that stoich out fine, but in real life don't make sense. I've talked to top metallurgists and polymer chemists in the area, all are PhD's with the Battelle Institute and Metss Corp. and can't seem to figure it out either. The only working solution is a quick fix that I feel will compound the problems later on down the road. I wish I could go into greater detail but most of the research is propietary as so are our resin systems.
It has lead to some good discoveries however in e-coating with resins and can improve sheen. I haven't yet determined though if this is caused by a reduction in surface tension or electrical attraction, I assume the latter, but will have to wait till my new toy, a tensiometer, comes in from Fisher.

Anyways what line of work do you do? I mainly do R&D for a company that manufactures and formulates one and two component insulating resin systems that don't contain VOC's and very few regulated items. When our products are cured they are non-toxic via the EPA,DOT, and United Labratories.
 #8 
Old 2000-08-11, 06:59
xmonkeyfistx xmonkeyfistx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

First of all, I don't recall ever saying that any of my explanations were necessarily correct. I am most perplexed as to where you thought that I said that my explanations was correct. I was stating several basic guesses that I could offer up with the data that was given. I never said anything about being correct.

In response to your secondary question, I am a chemical researcher for a University-run Field Laboratory. I am a member of a group of workers that are currently trying to develop a new compound that was researched in Michigan and sent here for continued experimentation. It is a substance for cleaning up hazardous material spills that have existed for some time. Usually these operations take up to 5 years, but (if we are sucessful) our compound could do such a job in 3 to 4 months. I was brought into chemistry by my uncle, who was also in R&D for a pharmacutical company. I enjoy my work immensely and hope that my future career will be rewarding. I own my personal mini-laboratory at home which is in early stages and which I use for my personal experimentation...
 #9 
Old 2000-08-11, 23:31
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

Though I think all experimentation is somewhat fun, except time consuming redundant testing, personal experimentation is by far the most fun.

I to have somewhat of a mini lab. However I don't have sophisticated equipment, just some glassware, a few homemade instruments, a multimeter,lotsa books, a computer, and of course a TI Calculator.


"If it was just the screen, you can get the very simple answer to that in any basic book regarding magnestism."

Above is where I got my assumption.
 #10 
Old 2000-08-12, 05:14
AtomicZagnut AtomicZagnut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

What your working on, monkeyfist, wouldn't have anything to do with the man made oil eating bacteria Biosan, would it?
 #11 
Old 2000-08-12, 05:29
xmonkeyfistx xmonkeyfistx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

my statement should be clarified. I assumed that you would take my statement in the context that I intended. I was meaning to express that my personal diagnosis could be explained in a good book regarding magnetism. Apologies for any confusion.

And no, our research is not directed towards Biosan.

Also, i have sympathy. My lab is no scientific wonder. I have my computer, some glassware, a small collection of chemicals, necessary safety precautions, and also a vast collection of books spanning from direct scientific factual texts to my collection of books by the great Douglas Adams. My my my, I wish I could improve upon it.
 #12 
Old 2000-08-12, 16:27
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

i agree what zaggy said: That shaking you experienced was called a siezure. go and get help.

He had his first siezure!! im so proud.

for more siezures... http://www.geocities.com/C512H/

 #13 
Old 2000-08-12, 20:59
Tha_Orange_Munky Tha_Orange_Munky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

tweren't a seizure. Btw suzie, its my whole field of vision during that time. But if i change what i'm concentrating on it will delay for a few seconds. Then start again. It's not that bad, its actually kinda kewl, but it sucks when i try to sleep cuz i can feel my eyeballs moving in the swirling pattern when i shut my eyes..making it difficult to get to sleep.
 #14 
Old 2000-08-12, 21:01
Tha_Orange_Munky Tha_Orange_Munky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

shit, i mean monkeyfist, not suzie... sorry my mind was in a different forum..
 #15 
Old 2000-08-13, 05:41
xmonkeyfistx xmonkeyfistx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

Hmmmm. Most interesting...
 #16 
Old 2000-08-15, 00:04
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: twirling screen...

xmonkeyfist,

Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for clearing it up.

It's amazing though what a person can do and find out in a mini-lab with or without sophisticated equipment. I first started messing around as a child, around 10. Couldn't really do much, but it was a lot of fun none the less. I think the first thing I ever did beyond just mixing stuff was fractional distillation and the destructive distillation of wood. The last thing I did with any seriousness was to make aspirin. I used to be fond of biology too and would collect animals and store them in formaldehyde and later dissect them. Guess I just like to know how things work, chem and physics are as basic as one can get, so I like the field I'm in. My only wish however is that it was more environmentally concerned.
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics