About
Community
Bad Ideas
Drugs
Ego
Erotica
Fringe
Society
Technology
register | bbs | search | rss | faq | about
meet up | add to del.icio.us | digg it
Go Back   Community > Science > Science of the Damned
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Science of the Damned Paranoia, ghostly delusions and the science of the damned.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 #1 
Old 2000-07-03, 12:46
Evil_Mastermind Evil_Mastermind is offline
Regular
 
Default What was that?

My friends and I were driving around, going to pick up another friend, when we saw a greenish blue ball about the relative size of the sun just drop from the sky, straight down. Has anyone ever heard of anything else similar? The location is New York, in the suburbs of the city.
 #2 
Old 2000-07-03, 20:56
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Yeah. They're called kick balls. Tell your friend to stop huffing butane.
 #3 
Old 2000-07-04, 04:58
Evil_Mastermind Evil_Mastermind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

well actually I was being completely serious... I doubt it was a kickball or a balloon or anything like that, because it was glowing, and as far as drug use, we don't do dumb drugs... only caffeine
 #4 
Old 2000-07-04, 16:44
riot_kid riot_kid is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Drugs aren't dumb only the people who use them.
 #5 
Old 2000-07-05, 04:26
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

And caffeine is supposed to be... Dumb right? 'Cause it is.

Aliens don't exist. Get over the X Files and go to bed or play the drums.
 #6 
Old 2000-07-05, 04:35
Evil_Mastermind Evil_Mastermind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

I wasn't asking if you believed in aliens, I was asking if anyone had heard of any similar incidents, and if you dont believe in them maybe you should ignore conversations like this one.
 #7 
Old 2000-07-05, 08:21
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

I don't believe in them because they don't exist.

Besides, how could anyone give you a reasonable response with the amount of information you gave - zip. I would answer seriously if you did the same, cheeso.

Hermph. I've never heard anyone use "cheeso" so, if you use it, remember to give me props.

What it is that I'm trying to say is, "Please give some more detail."
 #8 
Old 2000-07-05, 09:00
Evil_Mastermind Evil_Mastermind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

ok, we were stopped at an intesection and we saw above the trees at the top of the hill farther ahead a glowing bluish-green ball, which immediately dropped below view. Thats really all that happened. We wanted to chase it but we were stopped at the intersection.
Any props that I get for saying cheeso will be transferred to your account!
 #9 
Old 2000-07-05, 16:56
Lord Shadow Lord Shadow is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

In a universe so large we can't even begin to imagine its density, I think it more improbable that there aren't aliens. I mean come on we are all there is for billions of light years. But in all fairness i don't like all that x files crap why would any self respecting alien mess with this rotten hell hole.
 #10 
Old 2000-07-05, 18:31
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

hey, fuck you all with your 'dumb drugs' and 'only caffiene'

i use caffiene, THC, alcohol, and tobacco (from occaisional cigars)

okay, lets see

I am addicted to...
THC - NO
Alcohol - NO
Nicotene - NO
Caffiene - YES

This makes me a maladjusted night-dwelling freak
THC - NO
Alcohol - NO
Nicotene - NO
Caffiene - YES

This makes me lash out at my friends
THC - NO
Alcohol - NO
Nicotene - NO
Caffiene - YES

caffiene is a fucking drug, its worse than marijuana, so don't tell me you don't take any dumb drugs. you try waking up at 2 am with a headache that wont let you sleep until you drink two or three cups of strong coffee, and then you're too fucking wired to sleep and end up pissing off all your friends and acting like a violent psycho whenever somebody talks to you.

as you can see, i'm wired/sleep deprived now


and how can you say aliens don't exist. okay, make up this scenario. a planet in distant space. what is the chance of it being EXACTLY like ours, in every detail, to the last quark? me typing this right now, you reading this.... later. or now, depending on who you are, me or you... fuck.
but anyway, it would have to be something like 1x10 to the (insert huge-ass number that hasn't even been invented yeat here).

BUT - if space is infinate, then there MUST be a planet exactly like this. infinate planets exactle like this one. and I need some sleep.
 #11 
Old 2000-07-05, 19:14
Evil_Mastermind Evil_Mastermind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

maybe a little self control is in order... i dont take caffeine to that extent
which of these is a gateway drug:
THC - YES
Alcohol - no
Tobacco - no
Caffiene - NO

Which of these is the cause of more driving accidents than any other single source:
THC - no
Alcohol - YES
Tobacco - no
Caffeine - NO

Which of these is a leading cause of death by cancer:
THC - no
Alcohol - no
Tobacco - YES
Caffeine - NO

which has helped many people get work done on a deadline:
THC - no
Alcohol - no
Tobacco - maybe..
Caffeine - YES

of those 4 choices, i'd say that caffeine is the smartest
 #12 
Old 2000-07-05, 22:08
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Ok, the whole idea of a "gateway drug" has been totally discredited and using the term to support your anti-drug stance is laughable at best. But take this shit to the right forum, doinks.

Life on other planets probably exists in some form, but (and this is a big but) they aren't HERE. See what I'm sayin,' yo?

Evil, I didn't care about what happened to you guys in the car, I wanted to hear a description of the ball. It's color, density, estimated distance from your location, speed, shape(was it a true circle or a oval or a comet like shape), it's speed, etc. Y'know, the good stuff.
 #13 
Old 2000-07-05, 22:11
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Also, "which has helped many people get work done on a deadline" could also be said about speed. Caffeine leads to profound health problems from long term use.
 #14 
Old 2000-07-06, 05:39
Evil_Mastermind Evil_Mastermind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

color was greenish-blue.. density was indeterminate at best, it looked like it was just over the hill, maybe a mile or 2 away, and it looked to be the relative size of the sun (i.e. you hold up a quarter and cover it) as near as i could tell it was a perfect circle, speed was fucking fast! it shot straight down, i barely had a chance to get a good look at it.
 #15 
Old 2000-07-06, 08:01
Z3m Z3m is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

It was either glare or Satan.
 #16 
Old 2000-07-06, 08:18
Evil_Mastermind Evil_Mastermind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

heh... my money is on Satan!
 #17 
Old 2000-07-09, 14:47
Trippy_McGee Trippy_McGee is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

when THC was legalised in holland, usage of hard drugs dropped significantly, but Z3m is right, that should be spoken about in its respective forum.

And caffeine does have long term health problems, cancer, etc., i think that in the order of those 4 drugs, the smartest ones to use would be (from smartest to stupidest)

1) THC
2) Caffeine
3) Alcohol
4) Nicotene

Caffeine and Alcohol can probly be switched around without that much of a differance
 #18 
Old 2000-07-15, 08:17
xmonkeyfistx xmonkeyfistx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Here's some serious possibilities. It could've been some type of debris falling from some type of artificial thing in the earth's biosphere. It could've been glare, it could've been pollution. Or, if you were using drugs, you might just have been tripping and saw something gay. I don't know. It wasn't a UFO, they don't exist.
 #19 
Old 2000-07-25, 19:15
AtomicZagnut AtomicZagnut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

One thing that fits the description of what you described is ball lightning, but:

  • Ball lighitng could only happen during an electrical storm.
  • Ball lighting only forms in areas with small rolling hills

Now, if it was storming and you were in a hilly area, then it was probably ball lightning.

I also once heard of a case similar to yours where that ball was a signal from a murdered dude, and if you chased the glowing sphere it would lead to the spot that their body was buried, but so far that's an isolated incident.

[This message has been edited by AtomicZagnut (edited 07-25-2000).]
 #20 
Old 2000-07-25, 22:10
chupe chupe is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Au contraire, monkeyfist. UFOs do exist. All a UFO is is a Flying Object that you can't identify. Perhaps alien spacecraft zipping about our atmosphere don't exist, but obviously there's shit flying around that people can't tell what it is, as evidenced by EM's glowing ball. It was flying. It's unidentified. Ergo, it's a UFO.
 #21 
Old 2000-07-30, 10:58
Evil_Mastermind Evil_Mastermind is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

hmm.. sounds like it was ball lightning, the situation matches, it was very cloudy, and on the south shore of the island (a hilly place) it was storming... and that was the direction we were facing... so yeah it was probably ball lightning then
 #22 
Old 2000-08-01, 03:08
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Evil,

Here in OH me and a friend saw something similar. It was at night and over a lake, nothing which to accurately judge distance or size. But we saw a single green light which appeared to be moving, but we were driving as well, so it could have just been sitting still. Anyways it dissappeared suddenly, not like it took off real fast, but it was just gone. To me it was a UFO, but to me it wasn't alien either.

Z,

UFO's do exist whether they are ET or not, well I doubt it. If you can't identify it and it's flying, then it's a UFO. I don't believe in Aliens either, but it's dumb to say they don't exist. Simply because we don't have extensive proof to show whether they do or don't. I however refuse to believe until I see one myself.
 #23 
Old 2000-08-01, 05:46
Tha_Orange_Munky Tha_Orange_Munky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Interesting.. Me an my cousin were driving down a local highway.. and we saw a greenish-blue thing streak accross the sky.. it was flying low, i mean low, like 3500 feet an lasted about 15-20 seconds... scared the shit outta me...
Also once while i was workin on a farm with my hippie friend.. we were laying in the street <this was way out in the stix> an we were jus chillin, smoking, blowin shit up, an we saw a red light. We figured it was just a radio tower light. but it kept getting closer an it moved in a strage pattern..it would go forward real fast then fade back a lil bit then go forward again.. but then it made a real sharp turn an went back the same way it came which is impossible for jet airliners. That was the one that scared the shit of me. Anyone see anything like tha?
~Munky~
 #24 
Old 2000-08-01, 05:49
Tha_Orange_Munky Tha_Orange_Munky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Orange_Munky
Interesting.. Me an my cousin were driving down a local highway.. and we saw a greenish-blue thing streak accross the sky.. it was flying low, i mean low, like 3500 feet an lasted about 15-20 seconds... scared the shit outta me...
Also once while i was workin on a farm with my hippie friend.. we were laying in the street <this was way out in the stix> an we were jus chillin, smoking, blowin shit up, an we saw a red light. We figured it was just a radio tower light. but it kept getting closer an it moved in a strage pattern..it would go forward real fast then fade back a lil bit then go forward again.. but then it made a real sharp turn an went back the same way it came which is impossible for jet airliners. That was the one that scared the shit of me. Anyone see anything like tha?
~Munky~
 #25 
Old 2000-08-01, 05:51
Tha_Orange_Munky Tha_Orange_Munky is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Orange_Munky
Interesting.. Me an my cousin were driving down a local highway.. and we saw a greenish-blue thing streak accross the sky.. it was flying low, i mean low, like 3500 feet an lasted about 15-20 seconds... scared the shit outta me...
Also once while i was workin on a farm with my hippie friend.. we were laying in the street <this was way out in the stix> an we were jus chillin, smoking, blowin shit up, an we saw a red light. We figured it was just a radio tower light. but it kept getting closer an it moved in a strage pattern..it would go forward real fast then fade back a lil bit then go forward again.. but then it made a real sharp turn an went back the same way it came which is impossible for jet airliners. That was the one that scared the shit of me. Anyone see anything like tha?
~Munky~
 #26 
Old 2000-08-05, 05:07
The Real The Real is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

When my family was stationed at KMCAS Hawaii I saw a weird light in the sky. Me and some friends were sitting along a beach on the base and watching something we determined at the least, to be odd. It was a light in the sky amongst the stars (was either really high or close and and small) doing some pretty cool manuevers. These included hair pin turns at high speeds, and I mean some tight turns. We approximated that several of these turns were 120�. But at the same time Russia was developing their newest Mig which could do the same things at lower speeds. So perhaps it was man made or a very lost lightning bug, I don't know, but it would be a very long way for a lightning bug to be, there are none in HI. I've seen helicopters in day light that could do similar things at lower speeds as well. The Apache, the Commanche, and a Bell Model helo can do some pretty neat stuff. A UFO yes, Alien? I can't believe it, because I think man can make something of the sorts.


When I lived in IN I had a chance to visit a crop circly in Cromwell. There were some geeky looking freaks walking around with what appeared to be some homemade instruments. They were looking for "space plasma" whatever the hell that is, I was lauging so hard I was in tears. They returned with dirty looks. Anyways I got them to tell me what they thought space plasma was, supposedly they thought they could prove it's existence by finding a high iron concentration. They also claimed there tools could radio detect iron, but could not explain how. I did an EDTA titration of several soil samples from various parts of the field and the crop circle. They were all the same, about .5ppm soluble iron. They then claimed my research proved that aliens have excellent cover up technology. That was the last I talked to the Aliens absolutely exist crowd. It's not science, it's called twisting inconclusive data, or a big fucking joke.

Yeah I've seen stuff I thought was weird and I believe others when they tell me they have seen unusual things, but that does not mean anything except unusual things can exist.

Anyhow ball lighting doesn't need a storm to appear, it can happen over fault lines with no cloud in site, it can also be made in a lab. In fact there are some that believe that ball lighting sitings can be correlated with earthquakes and volcanos.
 #27 
Old 2000-08-05, 18:56
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

triple post!!! AAAHH!!!! *shields his eyes*
 #28 
Old 2000-08-06, 03:05
xmonkeyfistx xmonkeyfistx is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Pardon my erroneous former post. I left out a sentence. UFO's in the extraterestrial, alien spacemen sense do not exist. However, as was pointed out, UFO's in a literal sense do exist. A simple typographical error on my part. A thousand apologies...
 #29 
Old 2000-08-09, 05:32
AtomicZagnut AtomicZagnut is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

I didn't know about all that shit, Real. How'd they make ball lighting in a labratory???
 #30 
Old 2000-08-09, 12:27
winki winki is offline
Regular
 
Default Re: What was that?

Once on one of my old paper routes I looked up into the breaking dawn sky and saw the wierdest things I'd ever seen, in the sky,
it was like an epileptic rainbow colored lightning bolt. Later I found out that there had been a test of the trident missle and that's what I'd seen. I have had other experiences with spiritual and alternate reality type stuff but this isn't the right thread and besides I'd hate to annoy someone with the tiresome, at best, nature of my posts. Tony says, "
no way was it a trident missle, so I tender
my previous statement and will go and check nmy facts cause the nest day there was a picture of it on the front page of the newspaper, I will correct the post if neccessary, .......
 
To the best of our knowledge, the text on this page may be freely reproduced and distributed.
 

totse.com certificate signatures
 
 
About | Community | Bad Ideas | Drugs | Ego | Erotica | Fringe | Society | Technology
Hot Topics